Join now - be part of our community!

Second Generation 3DTV

profile.country.en_GB.title
iagibso49

Second Generation 3DTV

I had a demo of the LG and Sky 3D systems. They use the same glasses as are used in the cinema. The display is totally flicker free. The glasses are lighter and cheap; 7 pairs are given away with one set. Impressive.

2 REPLIES 2
Catmambo
Contributor

This is just passive 3D, which is different to Active 3D which is what the majority of manufacturers are using. Indeed the glasses are cheaper but you don't get full HD 1080p 3D. So its a bit of a trade off..

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/televisions/lg-ld950-3d-tv-passive-display-means-cheaper-glasses-49305391/

The reason they don't use the active system in most cinemas is that the glasses as you are probably aware are more expensive, whereas the passive glasses probably cost less than £1 to manufacture - bit of plastic with two polarising lenses.

Thanks

pork38
Visitor

Glasses are cheap and 3D looks good on the LG system with Sky 3D. However you may want to check as I don't think that passive TV is compatible with Bluray, this will severely limit viewing options in the future.

As for flicker, I just picked up the new TDG-BR250 glasses today and the improvement is vast. On by old BR100s the LCD on my amp would flicker when viewing, also with ambient light. The new glasses are a revelation. 3D on my TV  (46 N713) is now what I wanted when I first bought it.