Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia W905 - Youtube black screen

Nightbass
Explorer

Bravia W905 - Youtube black screen

Hi my TV has suddenly started to display black screen of death when playing youtube videos.

I got KDL46W905. TV and app worked perfectly until recently. Now every third/fourth video freezes my TV and I have to plug/unplug it from the power as it is completely unresponsive.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
dweaver1

My TV got a software update this morning - so I was hopeful.... But youtube still crashes (I don't want the black screen - so I don't cast anymore) - I was very naive to think that Sony might actually be helpful - useless.... 

Poxz82
Explorer

My YouTube started to do this after the pkg4.540EUA from 29 June 2015 . After about 1-3 videos app crashes back to home screen, if I'm casting I get the black screen.... Did a factory reset, it seemed to work but after about 12 hours it's back to same issue
Please fix it Sony..
profile.country.GB.title
Bilsten168
New

My 55w905's doing it too after an update. Thought New update a few days ago would sort it but no. Did some googling and it would appear that Google have withdrawn support for YouTube on any device more than a couple of years old. Would appear that TVs older than that don't have enough memory to support the new version. My w905 was only built 02/2014 but because it's an 'older model' it would appear its *** for YouTube. Thanks Sony.

Sashko777
Explorer

Bilsten168, If so Sony must offer a free Andoid TV Stick to each buyer they decieved. 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Youtube has been discontinued by Google (not Sony) on TV sets (for any manufacturer) produced till 2011/2012. 2013 models still are a valid device. Nonetheless the app is maintained by Google and it seems that there should be a problem in the latest version. You have to wait for a new release by Google.

alihoop
Explorer

hi, my Bravia also has the black screen of doom. i also paired my tv with youtube last week. This must be why its now black. How do i unpair it , im hoping that this will resolve the problem, if i cannot see anthing on my tv?? have checked my youtube settings and its not showing as paired now? Any help getting my TV back would be appreciated.

thanks