Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer discontinued on 2013 models from Feb 17, 2020

profile.country.GB.title
imhunek
New

BBC iPlayer discontinued on 2013 models from Feb 17, 2020

The BBC page and Sony's own support page both confirm that from 17th February, 2020, models such as my KDL-W605A are no longer certified to run iPlayer, and therefore the service will no longer be available. Given that the built-in iPlayer capability was the main reason we bought this product, I am rather annoyed that Sony won't upgrade the firmware to continue supporting the iPlayer.

The "devicehelp" page suggested by the Beeb was not particularly informative. However, I did some research and discovered a £28 device available from Curry's/PC World that should compensate for the loss of this facility: the ROKU Express 2019 HD Streaming Media Player. I have ordered one and once I have tried it out, I plan to report here how it worked out.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
imhunek
New

I'm pleased to say that the Roku Express set-top box, which is about the size of a two matchboxes, worked perfectly. It gets enough power from the USB port at the back of the TV, comes with both a USB and a HDMI cable, and was instantly available from Currys for a mere £28. The only fiddly part was to log into our home WiFi network, because it seems it could not use the WPS system - I had to type in the long WLAN key to get connected.