Join now - be part of our community!

Life on Mars?

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Life on Mars?

Mars One

"Mars 2023: Inhabitants Wanted. Mars One will establish a permanent human settlement

on Mars. We invite you to participate by sharing our vision with your friends, and, perhaps,

by becoming the next Mars astronaut yourself."

Has anyone else heard about this? Of course it wll never work but its a heck of an idea.

(Apart from the fact its a one-way ticket.)

I know I shouldn't laugh but you have to love the visionaries that come up wth these ideas. :nerd:

Actually, hang on a minute - there are thousands of applicants....

(Runs off to make tin foil space hat.)

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive heard of the project, and would apply - but cant be bothered.  2023 is not a realistic timeframe in my oppinion.

Where does one apply for a Mars passport?  And crucially, who stamps it at the end destination !  Is Duty free available?  :drink:

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Haha :laughing: Good question!

Also what happens if they don't let you in? As there's no return journey do you have to hover in space?

Anonymous
Not applicable

The Americans would try to slap a flag on Mars and claim its thiers.  And everyone would have to submit to an anti-terrorism interigation before entering Mars.  The NSA would be slurping all the data as possible and then sell it onto GCHQ.

@jumpsuit wrote:

Also what happens if they don't let you in? As there's no return journey do you have to hover in space?

I guess you would be Lost In Space !

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Lol - nice one.

Off topic I know, but but what a good film that was. (Even if just for the theme tune

by Apollo 440.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I did like the movie - but have to sadly disagree on the soundtrack (not to my taste).  I do love the theme music to Game Of Thrones though

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

...although that is harder to dance to.:smileytongue:

Back on topic I read that if an astronaut was to go to Mars they would accumulate two thirds of their total lifetime allowance of radiation on one journey.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jumpsuit wrote:

...although that is harder to dance to.:smileytongue:

Back on topic I read that if an astronaut was to go to Mars they would accumulate two thirds of their total lifetime allowance of radiation on one journey.

I read that too and think I found a link to that

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/30/nasa_says_mars_trip_would_exceed_radiation_guidelines/

However what I found funny is that the wheel tracks a Mars Rover accidently drew what one would describe the male anatomy

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/24/nasa_penis_mars/

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Well that would be a shocker to find on the surface of Mars in 500 years when they forget someone already went up there.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I see they have narrowed their selection of candidates down to the last 100.

(Although after seeing some of the candidates application films on BBC News I really am worried about

the future of Humanity lol)]

This headline on CNN made me laugh - I don't think they realised quite how it reads :laughing:

(Or maybe they do actually know what will happen to the people sent there lol.)

"Mars One: 'We're all going to die, but it's important what you do before you die"

Have a look Here