Join now - be part of our community!

KDL-40RD453 Connecting to the Internet?

profile.country.GB.title
shannon1394
Explorer

KDL-40RD453 Connecting to the Internet?

KDL-40RD453 To my Knowlegde it should have wifi capabilities but when I attempt to connect it to the internet there is no network setup process. I go to Home> Settings> System Settings> Set Up> Network Set-Up (as in the instruction manual) but that's as far as it goes. There is no further setup options from that point all that's on the screen is "Status" "IP Address Settings" and Check Connection". I've tried manualy entering the IP address details and connecting the tv to the moderm with the ethernet cable and still nothing. How on earth do I connect it to the interenet because I've tried everything I can think of?    

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
cass_n
Community Team

Hi @shannon1394 and welcome to the community,

I've checked and your model TV does not have WiFi capabilities I'm afraid (see the specs here).  Howeever, you should be able to connect with an ethernet cable I believe.  You mentioned that you tried this but with no luck.  Did you follow all the steps in the manual for a 'Wired network set-up'?

Cheers,

C

profile.country.GB.title
shannon1394
Explorer

I saw those specs earlier but I'm pretty sure the WiFi logo was on the box when I got the TV. The problem with connecting with an ethernet cable is that the moderm is at one end of the room and the TV is at the other end.  

profile.country.GB.title
First_Knight

Hi Shannon1394,

It MAY sound like a dumb statement to you, so my apologies in advance.........but here goes:

Since you have already connected an 'ethernet cable' to your tv and modem/router AND you still do NOT get a 'connection' because:

1) your tv browser finds no pages

2) you can't download any more apps, or use the ones already installed

3) Your network settings do NOT say ethernet is 'connected', or connection (wired), or similar.

etc,

AND you can't find 'Wifi Network Settings', despite you thinking your TV SHOULD have WiFi:

You just MAY be trying to use a cable that just LOOKS like a 'normal' ethernet cable.

I will explain, just in case you do not get me.

A 'Cat5' or a 'Cat5e' 'ethernet cable' that should work WILL have its internal coloured wires (visible inside the transparent block/ethernet port connector) in the SAME order at EACH end of the cable.

I know that is the case since I just checked two brand new working cables (supplied with a pair of 'powerline plugs') a few minutes ago.

The cable will also have printed along its length what 'type' it is, as well as the cable provided with some or most modem/routers being the 'correct one' to start with.

i.e. if you hold both 'transparent block connectors' side by side you will see the wires are (or should be) in the same order.

If these wires are NOT arranged the SAME at EACH end of the cable, then your cable is likely to be the kind of 'patch cable' that you might use to connect two computers together (as a small closed network) and NOT have them connected to a 'router', therefore it will NOT work to connect a 'Smart TV' to your modem/router.

At least that is my understanding of the differences between 'ethernet cables that only appear to be the same, but are not'.

Anyone more experienced than me in this matter is welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

One or more of these coloured wires MAY also have become disconnected from the transparent connector block (especially if it is NOT a cable with a 'shielded' connector block that protects the tiny, very weak 'clip' that prevents the cable coming out ouf the ethernet port once inserted), or the cable may be  damged internally if it has been 'kinked' to much or accidentally 'tugged on' too hard.

As I said, that MAY be the cause, but there could also be a fault or setting problem with your modem/router if the cable is not obviously otherwise damaged or somehow faulty. Or perhaps your 'Smart TV' just needs an O/S update - which I appreciate may seem impossible if you can't connect to the internet with it. 

If that IS the case, these updates can sometimes be acheived using a pc to download them to a 'thumb drive' which you then connect to a usb port on the TV.

That existence of that possibility will depend on the specific TV model.

Good luck

Blessings & Peace to all

First_Knight