Join now - be part of our community!

Just a moan about Jargon

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
Macsown
Explorer

Just a moan about Jargon

Hi, Thought my Panasonic Viera was finally on the way out (nearly as old as me) so bought a Sony 43GX80 thinking that swopping the leads over would be doddle but should have known better. At 77 my main crib is the jargon, I don't understand the abbreviations (LAN, HMDI, Wi Fi, IR blaster etc and cant help wondering why anyone needs to know when a simple numbering system on leads and sets would surely suffice. Now I find my old set  has rebooted (the picture is still excellent) and I am oh so tempted to take the new one back.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Macsown  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

The abbreviations are industry standard and all modern televisions

and their manufacturers use them.

If you need to know what they stand for then have a look Here  for example.

If its you're not sure what connection goes where, there are some images on Google

which may help you, for example this one:

011105844ff481f8d9f9065ed06a2726_3x3.jpg

For the acronyms you mentioned, here are some definitions:

"HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV), over a single cable. HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable."

"LAN: If your home has broadband service where you receive both TV and Internet over cable, you can use a LAN modem to transmit the cable TV signal to your TV set. You will need to have a LAN port on your TV, which many HD TV sets now come with."

Wifi is connecting your TV to the internet without the use of any cables.

For help regarding IR blasters have a look Here 

I am obviously biased as to which TV you should keep, but its worth you connecting the Sony Bravia

so you can compare picture quality and the features on it :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi @Macsown  and welcome to the Community :slight_smile:

The abbreviations are industry standard and all modern televisions

and their manufacturers use them.

If you need to know what they stand for then have a look Here  for example.

If its you're not sure what connection goes where, there are some images on Google

which may help you, for example this one:

011105844ff481f8d9f9065ed06a2726_3x3.jpg

For the acronyms you mentioned, here are some definitions:

"HDMI provides an interface between any audio/video source, such as a set-top box, DVD player, or A/V receiver and an audio and/or video monitor, such as a digital television (DTV), over a single cable. HDMI supports standard, enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio on a single cable."

"LAN: If your home has broadband service where you receive both TV and Internet over cable, you can use a LAN modem to transmit the cable TV signal to your TV set. You will need to have a LAN port on your TV, which many HD TV sets now come with."

Wifi is connecting your TV to the internet without the use of any cables.

For help regarding IR blasters have a look Here 

I am obviously biased as to which TV you should keep, but its worth you connecting the Sony Bravia

so you can compare picture quality and the features on it :slight_smile:

Hope this helps

profile.country.GB.title
Macsown
Explorer

Hi and thanks very much for the assist which has at least got me a picture if not as good as the one on my old set so I suspect I have set it up incorrectly. It strikes me that the industry may have put its house in order re labelling but completely forgotten its customers in doing so. I would be grateful if you can recommend a video on the subject or I will have to delve into the internet for a copy of Sony Bravia for dummies.😨.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi again @Macsown 

Glad it helped :slight_smile:

This video may give you a rough idea for connecting equipment to your TV :