Join now - be part of our community!

Two of us new to E-readers

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Two of us new to E-readers

My husband and I have just purchased a PRS-350 each ( no arguments in our house!)

We've followed the process of installing Reader library for one reader (mine).

We don't understand what will happen if we follow the installation instructions for my husband's reader on the same PC.

Will it attempt to install another copy of Reader Library. If so, where?

Will Reader Library cope OK with two readers?

When one of us purchases a book (we've experimented only with free books so far) how does Reader Library cope with transferring to the right reader?

Thanks

PuppyDog (I didn't want this name but all the ones I did want are already in use!)

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Drumzman
New

Hello PuppyDog (perfectly excellent username by the way!!:smileyhappy:)

My wife and I are in exactly the same situation - and we've taken the same solution as you by having a Reader each - no arguments in our household either!!:smileywink:

I hope I can reassure you - there is no issue with using two separate Readers with one copy of the Reader Library software, in fact that's the correct thing to do - just only connect one Reader at a time to your computer.  I think if you tried to install a second copy of the software, what you'd probably find is that your computer would simply tell you that it's already installed and nothing further would happen.

In terms of purchasing an eBook (which will be copyrighted unlike the free books you've tried so far), this is where you need to be mindful of the 'authorisation' process.  A few tips for you in this process - especially if you want to be able to read a purchased eBook on both of your Readers.

First tip - on purchasing your very first eBook many websites will tell you that you need to install Adobe Digital Editions software.  For the Sony Reader you do NOT need to do this as Adobe Digital Editions is actually built in to the Reader Library software - so please ignore this as this will greatly simplify things for you further down the line.

Secondly after making an on-line purchase, you will be presented with a 'download' button or option on the retailer's website.  When you press this, you will be asked whether you want to 'open' or 'save' the file.  Always select 'open' as this will automatically transfer the purchased eBook into the library of the Reader Library software.  At this point, as this is the first eBook you've purchased you will see an on-screen prompt asking whether you would like to authorise your computer - you do need to do this by entering an Adobe ID (this is usually your e-mail address), and a password.  You won't have an ID yet I assume, so you'll see a button to press for you to 'get an Adobe ID'.  This will take you to Adobe's website for you to register for an ID (this is just a one-off process by the way so you won't have to do this every time).  Anyway, you'll create an Adobe ID, and a password of your choosing on this website - once complete make a note of these details, close the Adobe website, and go back to the screen prompt and enter your details you've just created to complete the authorisation of your computer.

Next connect one of your Readers to your newly authorised computer.  In the Reader Library software, in the left hand menu click on 'Library' (or if you open the sub-menu below 'Library' by clicking on the little triangle to the left of the word 'Library'  you can if you prefer click on 'Purchased' to only show eBooks that you have bought).  Either way you should be able to see the eBook that you've just purchased in the list on screen.  If you drag this eBook over and drop it on to 'Reader' in the menu on the left hand side this will transfer your book onto the Reader that you have connected to your computer.  As this is the first time you have transferred a copyrighted eBook to one of your Readers, you will get a similar prompt to before, only this time asking if you want authorise your Reader- it will be asking for your Adobe ID and password again (although this will usually already be completed automatically with the details you just entered for your computer) - so you can just OK it and job done!  One new eBook copied to your first Reader!

If you want to transfer the same book on to your second Reader, simply disconnect the first Reader from your computer (you will see a little 'eject' symbol to the right of 'Reader' in the left hand menu - click on this and the message on the screen of your Reader will change from 'Do not disconnect' to 'USB connected' - at this point you can unplug your first Reader, and plug in the second Reader using the same cable.  Just follow the same process to transfer the purchased eBook to the second Reader (drag and drop), and again you will be asked if you want to authorise the Reader.  Enter the same Adobe ID and password as you used for the computer and your first Reader (this is really important so that you can share the same eBooks you've purchased on both of your Readers), and that's it!!

So to answer your question specifically, Reader Library copes with transferring to the correct Reader simply by having the one you want to transfer to connected to your computer, hence my advice to only connect one at a time to the computer.  If you do this I'm sure you'll be fine.

Anyway you will now have an authorised computer, and two authorised Readers - for future purchases, you now won't have to enter your Adobe ID and password again so the download and trasnfer will be quicker and easier.

Apologies for such a lengthy reply - but I hope all this helps!!  Happy reading in your conflict-free house!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Drumzman
New

Hello PuppyDog (perfectly excellent username by the way!!:smileyhappy:)

My wife and I are in exactly the same situation - and we've taken the same solution as you by having a Reader each - no arguments in our household either!!:smileywink:

I hope I can reassure you - there is no issue with using two separate Readers with one copy of the Reader Library software, in fact that's the correct thing to do - just only connect one Reader at a time to your computer.  I think if you tried to install a second copy of the software, what you'd probably find is that your computer would simply tell you that it's already installed and nothing further would happen.

In terms of purchasing an eBook (which will be copyrighted unlike the free books you've tried so far), this is where you need to be mindful of the 'authorisation' process.  A few tips for you in this process - especially if you want to be able to read a purchased eBook on both of your Readers.

First tip - on purchasing your very first eBook many websites will tell you that you need to install Adobe Digital Editions software.  For the Sony Reader you do NOT need to do this as Adobe Digital Editions is actually built in to the Reader Library software - so please ignore this as this will greatly simplify things for you further down the line.

Secondly after making an on-line purchase, you will be presented with a 'download' button or option on the retailer's website.  When you press this, you will be asked whether you want to 'open' or 'save' the file.  Always select 'open' as this will automatically transfer the purchased eBook into the library of the Reader Library software.  At this point, as this is the first eBook you've purchased you will see an on-screen prompt asking whether you would like to authorise your computer - you do need to do this by entering an Adobe ID (this is usually your e-mail address), and a password.  You won't have an ID yet I assume, so you'll see a button to press for you to 'get an Adobe ID'.  This will take you to Adobe's website for you to register for an ID (this is just a one-off process by the way so you won't have to do this every time).  Anyway, you'll create an Adobe ID, and a password of your choosing on this website - once complete make a note of these details, close the Adobe website, and go back to the screen prompt and enter your details you've just created to complete the authorisation of your computer.

Next connect one of your Readers to your newly authorised computer.  In the Reader Library software, in the left hand menu click on 'Library' (or if you open the sub-menu below 'Library' by clicking on the little triangle to the left of the word 'Library'  you can if you prefer click on 'Purchased' to only show eBooks that you have bought).  Either way you should be able to see the eBook that you've just purchased in the list on screen.  If you drag this eBook over and drop it on to 'Reader' in the menu on the left hand side this will transfer your book onto the Reader that you have connected to your computer.  As this is the first time you have transferred a copyrighted eBook to one of your Readers, you will get a similar prompt to before, only this time asking if you want authorise your Reader- it will be asking for your Adobe ID and password again (although this will usually already be completed automatically with the details you just entered for your computer) - so you can just OK it and job done!  One new eBook copied to your first Reader!

If you want to transfer the same book on to your second Reader, simply disconnect the first Reader from your computer (you will see a little 'eject' symbol to the right of 'Reader' in the left hand menu - click on this and the message on the screen of your Reader will change from 'Do not disconnect' to 'USB connected' - at this point you can unplug your first Reader, and plug in the second Reader using the same cable.  Just follow the same process to transfer the purchased eBook to the second Reader (drag and drop), and again you will be asked if you want to authorise the Reader.  Enter the same Adobe ID and password as you used for the computer and your first Reader (this is really important so that you can share the same eBooks you've purchased on both of your Readers), and that's it!!

So to answer your question specifically, Reader Library copes with transferring to the correct Reader simply by having the one you want to transfer to connected to your computer, hence my advice to only connect one at a time to the computer.  If you do this I'm sure you'll be fine.

Anyway you will now have an authorised computer, and two authorised Readers - for future purchases, you now won't have to enter your Adobe ID and password again so the download and trasnfer will be quicker and easier.

Apologies for such a lengthy reply - but I hope all this helps!!  Happy reading in your conflict-free house!

profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hi, Drumzman

Thank you very much for your clear, comprehensive and helpful reply.

The ability to share books between our two readers will be much more useful than we ever dared hope - we thought we would have to swap readers to share books.

We shall now look forward to buying our first book with confidence.

Thanks again

PuppyDog

profile.country.GB.title
PuppyDog
New

Hi, Drumzman

Just to say a big 'thank you'; we have purchased our first EBook and everything worked exactly as you said it would. The book now resides on both EReaders.

We are thrilled.

Thanks again

PuppyDog

Drumzman
New

Hi PuppyDog,

You're most welcome - so glad that everything worked out well!

Happy reading! :slight_smile:

Drumzman