Join now - be part of our community!

KD-55X9005C - keeps freezing and becomes unresponsive

profile.country.GB.title
JudieT
Explorer

KD-55X9005C - keeps freezing and becomes unresponsive

My new KD-55X9005C keeps locking up and is not responsive to any input from the remote control or the TV buttons. This can occur from anything from once a week to two or three times a day.

Sometimes it can happen shortly  after switching on (from standby) or after a number of hours of viewing.

The TV will display a picture and have sound but no commands from either of the remotes or the controls on the TV will work. (Even the on/off button)
The only solution we have found is to unplug the TV from the power supply and do a full reboot.
Ok, this does resolve the problem but surely it shoud not be necessary so frequently?

All firmware / software is up to date.

Come on Sony, for a TV costing just short of £2k I would expect it to be 110% in terms of operation

33 REPLIES 33
profile.country.GB.title
JudieT
Explorer

Have now spoken with Sony support who have advised a factory reset. Will post the outcome! 

profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

I own a Sony KD-49X8305C which is doing the same thing. Did the factory reset work?

profile.country.GB.title
JudieT
Explorer

No the factory reset didn't work, it was a waste of an hour (having to set everything up again).
Have since spoken with Sony again who have now escalated the case internally, it has been with them a week now and the only update I have had is this:

"Thank you for contacting Sony support. We are sorry to learn that your Sony TV has developed a fault.
In regards to your escalation, please be informed that the case is still under investigation from Sony. We will keep you updated ASAP."
The only helpful piece of information I can offer is that when it occurs, rather than doing a full power-down by unplugging it, that you do a 'hard restart' by holding down the power button on the TV and the remote simultaneously for 3 seconds and it should reboot (it saves the hassle of trying to get to the plug!)
Will post any further updates once recieved.....
Not impressed with Sony so far 😞

profile.country.GB.title
Macvid
Explorer

Thank you.

I have checked a couple of other forums and the only other freezing issues appear to be signal related resulting in the picture freezing possibly from low quality reception. One comment I read did suggest that digital broadcasts contained more data and therefore may take longer:- see part content of post found.

'Digital chanals carry much more information in themself as analog like expl. EPG and some else, so it is normal that swiching of digital chanals will take bit more time than analog one. Swiching my take two second or simular but it should not freez.'

This link may take you to the discussion thread I found:-

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/tv-freezes/m-p/238126#M7596

I have found that it is more likely to freeze if I am flipping through the EPG or using the channel advance key on the remote to move through channels quicker than normal. It has not frozen when entering the channel number directly. I am of the opinion that no matter which method is used it should not freeze and therefore indicates there is a fault. Last night mine froze when moving from an HDMI connected recorder back to TV.

kevski100
Explorer

In the same boat. I have a kdl43w805c . Does exactly the same. remote becomes unresponsive and have to switch off at the mains. Havent tried the 3 sec power button on tv and remote at same time instead of switching mains off yet. Spoke to sony. Internal team looking at it. Said they be in contact tues. Lets see eh

profile.country.GB.title
JudieT
Explorer

Dont hold your breath - I am still waiting for my call from a supervisor (which I was advised I would receive in 24 hours).
Sony support is proving to be non-existent

I would be interested if you get your call today

We have had a new issue today - the TV would not switch on from standby by either the remote or the buttons on the TV, the 3 second hard retstart didnt work either, so yet again had to unplug it and fully reboot
This is now getting beyond a joke. Grrrrrrrr!

profile.country.GB.title
Pete4L

I have a

KD-55X8507C

And I am having the very SAME problems as you guys! At first I thought it was the youview update, but I've since removed youview & done a factory reset but to no avail!  It's ridiculous how much these TV's cost & you can't change the channel without having to power cycle the TV.... I'm disgusted tbh... I wish I'd bought a Samsung.

profile.country.GB.title
JudieT
Explorer

Just a further update on this:

Having not recieved any further communication from Sony support (or my promised call from a supervisor), I called them again and got very cross ad firm with them and demanded to speak to someone higher up.
Finally spoke to a supervisor who has now informed me that it is a software issue that Sony are aware of and are working towards a solution.
As to when it will be out as an update, they couldn't tell me. Apparently many owners are experiencing this.
My comments to this would be:
1: Why wasn't I told this at the start of me raising this as an issue (seeing as it is a known issue)?

2: Why have Sony released this TV / system when its clearly not market ready?

I am sure fellow sufferers would have similar feedback for Sony!

So far my experience of Sony support is far from satisfactory, my faith in the Brand has plummeted

profile.country.GB.title
rosiebud73

I purchased the KD-55X8509C just over a month ago and I have the same problem.  Will switch it on from standby and it powers on okay and the tv returns to the point where it had previously been turned off.  However it doesn't respond to either of the remotes, so if I want to watch anything other than the channel being displayed I have to power it off/on at the mains.

I've only encountered this issue on power on from standby, but it is very frustrating.  If I don't want to run the risk of missing the start of a programme have to start getting the tv up and running 10 mins in advance of the programme.

Not impressed.  

Haven't spoken to Sony Support yet but think I will as can only hope that the more people that report the issue the higher the priority for issuing a fix will be.