Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
rab1973
Explorer

That makes sense,but defeats the object of the tv. Don't worry....we all
got shafted by Sony.

Sent via Galaxy S5
UKPiglet

Finally got round to buying a replacement for the ** Sony Android TV. Been following this thread and seen no sign any significant improvements have been made. No surprise then that it's a Samsung.

Edited for Language

EdU

Alex_VS
Explorer

Hi All and Sony Team,

Recently I bought KDL-50W805C and would like to express some concerns and report some issues:

(1) There is no way to scroll TV guide up/down page by page. Normally (on most of TVs) 'Program+/Program-' keys on a remote are assigned to scroll up/down TV guide by page, but not here to my surprise and disappointment. (No other keys are assigned either). When you have 200-300 channels it is a headache to be forced to scroll only by one line. I have also mentioned the issue here

(2) TV Guide information is not well updated (I am using over DVB-S and CI+) - some lines in guide remain blank (no program info) unless you select this program and start watching it. After it, if you check TV Guide again - this channel's info would appear (and often adjacent lines would get program info too).

(3) In my personal opinion, TV guide layout is not arranged in the best way: current TV channel preview is almost invisible as it is "behind" the guide, which is almost not transparent. Would be good to be able to change the  transparency. But I would prefer to have small preview window and nearby brief information about the program under cursor (I thought that it has become more or less industry standard). Of course the best solution would be to allow user to select guide layout and transparency..

Would be appreciated if Sony could address the above suggestion and address the issues.

Thanks and BR

profile.country.GB.title
rnbetsy

0.01% chance they will
profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

Had my 55" 8509c for a year now, minor issues I have had with the tv, have been resolved in updates.

Early this month ,i subcribed to Sky Q silver, took the plunge even tho'  i had herd about juddering issues,as Sony

stated, there would be a firmware update this month, what i didn't expect was when i tune to a UHD programme, i get a message saying no 4K source  detected! turning the tv on and off resolves the issue.

.  My main point is, considering Sonys poor record, on informing customers regarding updates, and even then,being late rolling them out, with only 9 days to go before the end of the month, hands up all those who think Sony have fobed us off again?

alanxce

I have the same model TV and have recently signed up for Sky Q. There was a time when I could watch Premier League in UHD from the Sky box, this capability seems to have disappeared about a week ago. A UHD program causes a message to be posted saying I need a UHD screen connected and no matter what I do I cant make it recognise the Sony. You can watch it try to switch to 3xxx by 2xxxx and then flip over to the default which is 1080p. 

I have no problem watching UHD programs from Amazon Prime. 

Have spent way too much time resetting boxes and changing settings to little effect. In fact, at the moment I have a Sky Mini that I can't reactivate but this is due to other factors including a new BT Home Hub I had to install yesterday. Anyone know how to purge physically removed BT Home Hubs from the networks discovered by wifi?  I think the Mini is looking for the old one and I can't figure how to make it look for the new one.

Add the problems with the Bravia to the intricacies of Sky Q and you have an accident waiting to happen.

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

I can see the 1st of October coming and going with no fixes for all our software bugs, getting beyond a farce now!

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

Is that October 2017!

profile.country.GB.title
notspurs

just to let you know Sony, there is only 4 days left to roll out the promised firmware update!

update is to correct juddering, also, would this solve the issue of the sky q box actually  recognising my 8509c as a UHD display? if not , Sony can have my TV back

profile.country.GB.title
geoffs4

Yes, 4 days and counting.

For me the EPG fix is the one I want to see them sort out and up until this last weekend i have not really used the 4K on my 8509c, but i can also report that the picture breaks into 3 bands, upper and lower bands are scrambled and the mid section is vaguely watchable.

SONY GET THE ISSUES SORTED! or is anyone else up for a class action case?

I guess that no-one from Sony even comes into these forums to see wha their customers are saying.

Can we all target Twitter and Facebook on their feeds as they seem to respond to those.

You an get to them with the tag: @Sonyuk