Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
lebarry
Explorer

Tried to to record a TV programme onto a usb hard drive connected to USB 2 HDD but keep getting the message "to use this feature a system software update is required. For details please refer to to the reference guide". my TV has the latest software version as of today. Can anyone shed any light on light on this?

profile.country.GB.title
ianhug
Explorer

Went through the update and as with others Netflix now available.   

Lip sync still appears to be an issue especially with Freeview HD channels.  Normal teresstrial versions appear OK as does a feed from a blueray recorder connected to the component feed.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi guys,

As mentioned yesterday, I am chasing the info on the ext update. In the meantime please do read carefully this page that stipulates which features are coming later this summer:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/more-features-coming-to-your-android-tv-soo...

I took one of the TVs but it is relevant to ALL Android TV models.

Thanks,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
andrewsoong

Summer is next week isn't it? Any chance of nailing down a firmer date?
MikeLothian

Summer is June, July & August. So expect an update in September 😉
mutantfatcat
Explorer

I confirm the same issue. No 5.1 sound from Netflix via HDMI ARC or optical.

There are no 5.1 banners shown within the Netfix app nor the selectable audio options. Only English 2.0  is shown.

I'll try a 5.1 labelled film from Amazon later today to confirm.

profile.country.GB.title
scottryan10

Hi,

The update that came out yesterday was only for the Netflix issues. I have had a call from Sony today, and they told me this. 

Again, he said more updates are to follow, but when is a mystery....he would not say any dates or even an estimated time span....only, summer 2015.....

I did mention that by then, we will all be out of return period, and then the sets are ours, full stop.

To cover myself, i did state that if it is not sorted by the end of the week, ( i mean just watching a normal TV ) then it will be going back. I said this because all calls are recorded, and i made him agree to this.

So, please bear it in mind about the return time, otherwise we may all be stuck with models that are riddled with issues. mostly, the higher end models.

Take care....

MikeLothian

The OTA update is on the website now and has the following description:

ABOUT THIS DOWNLOAD
Name: Firmware update to v2209 for TV
Date released: 16-06-2015
Do I need to update?: Your firmware may already be up to date, especially if you have a new Bravia TV model. If you're not sure, it' it's easy to check which version of firmware you have follow these instructions to check it.
Benefits and improvements:
Netflix 4K support
Improved Lip Sync in HDMI input.
Improved USB Video playback
Improves the TV performance
Restrictions: only for use with TV sold in Europe. Not all models are sold in all countries.

Whilst the TV is still buggy - especally when related to 3D and sound, there have been improvements - I can type a channel number in now without the TV messing up and the menus feel more responsive

Bar--8

There have been improvements but I agree, sound, inparticular lip sync is still buggy. I presume anyone with a sound bar attached to HDMI arc has noticed this? Leave the TV tuned on one channel for long enough and its unwatchable.

I won't be making purchases from the app/music/film/game store until this whole debacle is resolved (hoping this removes a revenue stream from Sony).

alellio01

Hi Friends

Just an update for people who are coming to their returns period end. I spent 3 hours on the phone with my retailer, after being past from pillar to post, they have agreed, that if Sony dont fix the stated problems and options, then the retailer will exchange my TV. I will admit it was a nightmare to get this, but im still hopeful sony will fix things.

Have you notice the price drop £100 since launch. I do think thats a kick in the teeth buy Sony.