Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Mekerz

Does anyone else suffer from extremely poor network performance on these TV sets?

I've tested both 5Ghz WiFi and ethernet connection (router is 5 foot away from the TV) and can only pull down speeds of 30Mbit/s on a 152Mbit/s connection. This is tested by downloading TV browser and visiting the speedtest.net beta page that performs the test using HTML5 and not flash.

Now my rMBP on the 5Ghz network can pull the full 152Mbit/s. So what gives?

oodles2do

@MF7480

I exchanged my Sony Android TV with an LG after I'd had enough of it. I decided to go for this one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55uf860v-4k-ultra-hd-3d-smart-tv-55-with-freeview-hd-built-in-wi-fi-harm...

That the 860v model, there's also an 850v which should still be cheaper, they're exactly the same except the 860v has a wider colour gamut and some HDR functionality, but it doesn't have the 2016 HDR certificate as I assume it doesn't meet some of the standards that were introduced after it came out.

Overall though, great TV, fast OS, does everything I ask exactly when I ask and has a great picture. I'd say the quality of the picture is the same as the Sony, except the LG doesn't have any light bleed. I had some light bleed in the bottom corners of my Sony. One down point I can think of and that is when you're recording HD content; for some reason it doesn't record cleanly, so it'll be fine for most of the time but occasionally the image will break up. It seems to only happen on HD recordings and more of a problem if the content is football.

Highly recommend though!

Just ignore the 3D - I'd rather they hadn't bothered putting it in.

MF7480
Explorer

Recently got EE 4g router, so now get about 25mbs compared to 0.5mbs from BT landline. Signal not a problem as we are on top of a hill and can see caradon mast. I think you may be right about the non smart TV, I think I would rather plug a separate box in if it means a TV that works!  How do you rate your Sony now?

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

The way I look at it is the early adopters had most of the problems and like anything electrical they get updated with new circuit boards and chips. When I worked in the motor trade as a mechanic for main dealers we would always get notification of mods that would cure problems and after a while it would be the vehicle to buy.

My kd49x8309c is the best tv I have ever had, I connect via ethernet, don't have a hard drive connected and don't have any 5.1 system so the tv just works, not worried about pip. I takes a small time to switch on a few seconds and now and again slightly slow to change channels a few milli-seconds. But I am not going to pull my hair out for the sake of it.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

I agree with John. This thread has probably put off a lot of people getting
a new Sony tv and while the problems here are obviously real they still
only represent a very small fraction of the amount of tv's sold. My
55x8005c has no problems at all and I only follow this thread to check on
any issues with updates such as the recording facility.
profile.country.GB.title
Risc0n
Contributor

Just tried the new 2016 TV. Only plus side is the new remote. Still running Android 5.1.1 and not the latest 6.0. Seems they have learned nothing.

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@MF7480 wrote:

Thanks for the replies, starting reading through the thread, but lost the will to live! In a nutshell, how stable is the Sony now after the updates? I'm not worried about 5.1 sound or PiP, I just want a TV that does what it's asked without hassle. Being a dairy farmer, I don't get much free time, and when I do, I struggle to stay awake to watch TV, but the kids will use it most and I don't want hassle from them about it not behaving. 

Thanks.

Family usage is exactly the problem I had - I could keep a handle on the quirks of the thing, but the family couldn't, or wouldn't, so I got a nice reliable Samsung,

But they have improved these sets lately, so give it a go - though if you are pulled out of the milking parlour once too often, to attend to it, you might want to swap it for an udder,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
MF7480
Explorer

Ha ha, don't milk it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RiscOn - got the new KDL-55WD8577 TV, been using it since Monday.  Nice TV, but yes does have many of the same issues 😞  The table top stand is far nicer to the eyes, designed better and more sturdier.

Don't agree with you on the remote however.  Other than the integrated mic button - i hate it :grin:

A good design feature though is the connection ports, most are on the side (indented behind).

Anonymous
Not applicable

royabrown wrote:

- but if you are pulled out of the milking parlour once too often, to attend to it, you might want to swap it for an udder,

Gotta give u a kudos for that one - !