Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Frady1 - glad you managed to find it :slight_smile:

@MiCal1967 - PiP should work with a PC connected via HDMI

• In order for PC in to be detected properly for PIP it needs to output via HDMI using:

Corresponding PC input signal

(Resolution, Horizontal frequency/Vertical frequency)

640 x 480, 31.5 kHz/60 Hz

800 x 600, 37.9 kHz/60 Hz

1024 x 768, 48.4 kHz/60 Hz

1280 x 1024, 64.0 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)

1600 x 900, 56.0 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)

1920 x 1080, 67.5 kHz/60 Hz (2K Full HD models or 4K models only)*

3840 x 2160, 67.4 kHz/30 Hz (4K models only)

* The 1080p timing, when applied to the HDMI input, will be treated as a video timing and not a PC timing. This will affect the [Display] settings. To view PC content, set [Wide mode] to [Full], and [Display area] to [Full pixel] (2K models) or [+1] (4K models). ([Display area] is configurable only when [Auto display area] is set to [Off].)

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@Anonymous

Thanks Quinnicus

For my 4K KD55X8508C.

In Options-Display-Screen-HDMI xx...

after setting Wide mode to Full, Auto display area to OFF, I do not have an option for [+] 1 in Display area.

There are only:

Full pixel

Normal

[-1]   a minus one !!!

Picture in Picture cannot be enabled on none of above selections. 1080p timing remains active.

PC is 1600x900 60Hz. Tried Cloned and Single Display in Intel HD Settings.

ezeest

I have exactly the same scenario, I have been trying to get PIP to work since the update with no success.
I'm using a Mac via HDMI to a 65S8505C.
Tried altering all the display options and resolutions on the Mac and all the settings on the Bravia all to no avail, I don't have the +1 option either just the ones you mention.
So how on earth PIP is enabled is beyond me, Sony are of course no help and don't seem to know themselves, I have even tried a full reset!

Sent from my iPad Pro
julianblack

Hi @ezeest.

I have a Late 2012 Mac mini and for three months had a KD-49X8305 before
giving up and it and exchanging it for a LG TV.

During that period (and also with the LG) all I had to do was let the Mac
mini decide for itself what resolution it wanted to output at.

Perhaps I expect too much having used Macs for over twenty years ­ plug
something in and it just works as advertised.
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

@ezeest, @Anonymous

Could be HDMI cable related issue.

I tried all combinations, selected Enhanced mode Input for specific HDMI input but the only resolutions that worked for Picture IN Picture were:

1280x1024 60p/Hz
1600x900 60p/Hz

Maintain Display Scaling selected from Intel HD graphics settings..

But even if it is cable related I wonder why 1920 x 1080 does not work.

3840 x 2160 gives a message of Not Supported Input @ Twin Picture.

Another issue I noticed is that if a 4K Satellite channel is active at Satellite tuner, then PC and Tuner Twin Input(PaP) does not also work but when selected instantly goes back to single picture. 

MF7480
Explorer

Hello everyone, just signed up to the forum.

Went to currys last weekend and bought a new TV. Bit of a spur of the moment decision.

Being an Android family, it seemed the logical thing to buy an Android TV, and the Sony picture was impressive.

Ended up buying a KD49x8309C for £749. 

Its not being delivered until Tuesday, as this was the first free delivery slot, and after reading this thread, i'm not sure i want it. Should i cancel, or are they OK for average family use now?

If i cancel, what 49 -55 inch 4K smart TV should i buy in it place for £749 or less? I would like to be able to record on a HDD, we have a freesat recorder, but would be happy with just DVB, and one remote.

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
John1950Hitchin

Really you haven't even pluged it and you don't want it, strange. I have the same TV and don't have any of the problems others believe they have. Give it a try you can always return it within the 14 days grace.

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

As I said in another post,I had the tv you ordered and exchanged it for the hugely superior 55 inch x8005c. The panel on the 49 inch one is relatively gray and while that's good for viewing at an angle, viewed straight on its really quite poor for contrast and rich colours as this review points out.

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x830c

The same site praises the picture quality of the 55x8005c (under its usa model name)

http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x810c

Currys has the 55x8005c for £749. 

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-audio/televisions/televisions/sony-bravia-kd55x8005cbu-smart-ul...

The picture is superb and I've had no android tv related issues with it. And yes it has the hdd recording facility. 

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

It's worth adding though that the 55x8005c is not so good if you have a family where some are viewing it at an angle. The va panel on the 55 inch will look great straight on and at a slight angle but the 49 inch one is better for people viewing at wider angles. Look up va and ips panels to find out more. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MF7480 - Im just repeating what others have said, but make your judgement based on your own experience.  There are many that are happy.  

See:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/sony-kd-55x9305c-bravia-tv-more-than-happy/m-p/2162306