Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Indy121

If you're just putting it in the loft, I'll have it off you cheap!! What model is it? What did you get for it off eBay? Send me a message.

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@NickCo1979 wrote:

So after managing to get rid of my TV via ebay because of all the issues I'm now stuck back with it. It was either take it back or have various bits of me broken by the incredibly irate purchaser who has had enough of it.

Just under a year after buying it for almost £1300 I'm now stuck with a useless piece of junk that I can't return because Sony refuse to accept it back and I can't sell on because no-one in their right mind would buy it if they knew the issues 😞

It's back in the box in the loft. I'll give it a year to see if Sony fix the issues and then probably just chuck it. The replacement Samsung I bought at the time I got rid has been a joyous purchase by comparison.

Gutted and now skint thanks to Sony.

@NickCo1979

It was never Sony's responsibility to take it back - it was the responsibility of the retailer who sold it to you.

Try obtaining redress from them. - no need to mention that you lent it out for a while.

All the major retailers know the issues with these sets, despite which they will put up some resistance, but it will be pretty half-hearted, and you will prevail.

You can also, if you bought it with a credit card, or even just paid a deposit of over £100 towards it on one, get redress from them instead.

Write a letter or email in the first instance, copy to both, if so. The credit card company will likely lean on the retailer to do the right thing, if not quite as forcefully as your eBay contact 🙂

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking
NickCo1979

I bought it direct off Sony, hence it was Sony's responsibility to take it back.

I can't be arsed messing around with it now. It's in the loft, probably never to be looked at again. My only real temptation would be to send it in to "will it blend". My response to the service received is to never buy a Sony product ever again, hence my new Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung TV and Samsung tablet. It's the only way companies that treat their customers as shoddily as this will learn, by falling sales and eventual failure.

I only really posted again out of sheer frustration. Won't be back as even posting here winds me up about the experience I've been on the receiving end of.

Good luck to the rest of you.

profile.country.GB.title
frogger38

@frankie1g wrote:
The saving grace for this TV has been the panel but 2 night's ago the screen looks washed out with a visable light bleed fromtboths sides its visavle in all viewing situations any clues if this is a software setting problem or a start of a hardware fail

Sent from my Samsung device

I had this once with the previous firmware. A power reset restored normal screen, I did not notice edge bleed but was all washed out and no blacks. 

Product is is Sony 2015 KDL 43W805C Android TV, UK Model with YouView, purchased Sept 2015.
julianblack

Hi NickCo1979

Can¹t you give it to a member of your family you really dislike?
dazworld

I feel for you @NickCo1979.

After months of issues, I reset the TV installed the latest firmware and switched YouView off. So far, it's working OK. I say OK because rather than daily issues, I get weekly issues.

However, with dismal support from Sony after not responding on a lengthy complaint letter to them, and the issues, I too now will never buy another Sony TV.

profile.country.FI.title
avaelika
Explorer

Anyone having problems with volume level on startup when using HDMI ARC?

I've KDL50W809c and it's connected to active speakers with a ProCaster DAC. Everytime I power off my TV and startup again the TV thinks the volume is at level 0 and so I cannot turn it down. The actual volume from the speakers is the same as when I powered off the TV. Only way to fix this is to turn the volume up to max with the TV remote and then back again.

@avaelika

I too have issues with not being able to turn down the volume on external speakers using TV Remote after initially turning on the TV.

Have KDL50W807C connected to DAV-IS10 surround system via HDMI (not ARC) and Optical lead. When turning TV on I cannot turn down the volume using the TV Remote and have to use the DAV-IS10 remote to reduce speaker volume - I can then turn the sound up/down using the TV remote but again only down to level that I set using the DAV-IS10 remote, not any lower. As you suspect I think the TV resets it's volume level to 0 when it is turned off / back on. Also same if connecting to sound system using headphone socket output from TV.

I was wondering if it was just me as couldn't find any other mention of it in these forums. Would be nice to see if anyone else has similar issues or know how to resolve.  

profile.country.IE.title
Frady1

I have the KDL43W755C and I am getting a BLURRY picture on all sports, any movement in any programme in fact.

SD is hopeless and Match of the Day on BBC 1 is Blurry.

I've tried every setting, motion sensor on/off the lot.

The strong point of this TV is the picture, certainly not on mine.

When I press the 'info' button it tells me what the channel is broadcasting eg. 1080i/25hz if its in HD or 576i/25hz

Why is it saying 25 hz?

Can anyone tell me how do I direct a post to Quinnicus or to a specific person?

Not too up to speed on this posting.

Thanks.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

25hs is the standard PAL frequenz trasmission in Europe.

Regarding motion handling, what do you mean by motion sensor? the parameter you have to manage fast changing scene is Motionflow that have different preset (don't know the english names but in italian are something like nitido, fluido, standard, true cinema): standard is fine with mine W805c while more aggressive ones are too dark for me.