Join now - be part of our community!

VGC-V2M DVD WRITE PROBLEM! HELP!!

anna17
Visitor

VGC-V2M DVD WRITE PROBLEM! HELP!!

:cry: I've had my VGC-V2M for a year now and have never really had any problems, Sony's e-support seems to be non existent as I cant seem to register or log on. My pc has a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-k141 cd/dvd writer. When I try to write/transfer an avi file or something similar to a dvd-r that is + or - I get a error box that states 'windows has encountered a problem trying to copy this file. What would you like windows to do?'
Ummm? Like, copy the file damnit! :angry: and it then gives me the option to retry or cancel. Retrying is useless as it will just state the same message. But if I write music files to a cd-r that is easy as pie. It does it!
And sometimes when I do try it again I get a Dr watson thing telling me that 'Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close'
For the love of god please help me. I dont know what to do. :cry:

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi anna17 and welcome to Club Vaio.

Unfortunately this is an all too common problem with optical drives and is, more often than not, hardware related. That said I don’t recall any posts on this forum reporting problems with the DVR-k141.

A couple of questions:
1. What software are you using for burning?
2. Is your computer still in warranty?

I take it that at a previous time you were able to burn to DVD?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
anna17
Visitor

Hey Rich912, thanks for the welcome!
Well I am not using software to transfer files, I'm just dragging the files to the disc. If I were to use software its usually Nero. But that doesnt seem to let me use my dvd writer. It picks it up but its shaded grey so I cant use it. Im not sure about my warranty, I think I only have a year with Sony but the store I bought it from has given me an extended warranty with them. But I used to be able to copy files before until recently. I didnt know this was common problem. My previous pc rarely had any problems.:smileycry: Do you think you can help? Or can anyone help me? PLEASE!!! I know I sound desperate but I love my PC, it my baby!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Anna17,

When Windows (using drag and drop) reports that there is a problem does it give any error code? Also will Nero allow you to burn to CD-R?

One thing that you could try (although I don’t hold out much hope that this will solve the problem) is to re-install the drivers. In Device Manager, right click on the optical drive and select Uninstall. Then under Action select ‘Scan for hardware changes’. This will find the drive and re-install the drivers.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
anna17
Visitor

Oh I've tried that too and I right clicked for hardware changes and once it found the writer it couldnt install the driver because it wasnt there!! So then I rebuilt my pc and that hasnt resloved the issue either. I guess Im gonna have to ask the dealer to help me out....Im dreading that also because their customer service is appalling!:smileyworried: I guess Im not having much luck. Well I'm open to ideas if you got anymore. Thanks for helping me out. I really appreciate it.:smileybatting_eyelashes:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Windows doesn't have native DVD burning, you need Nero for that (or anything else but Nero's the best)

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

When you get the message from the install wizard that the driver cannot be found you need to point it in the direction of C:\Windows\inf.

Kee-Lo is correct that Windows doesn’t support native DVD burning but it would appear that Nero is also refusing to cooperate. You have not said whether Nero will allow you to burn to CD-R

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
anna17
Visitor

I understand that it doesnt have a native dvd burner but my point is refuses to let me drag and drop on to dvd-r. I used to be able to do this and all of a sudden it cant do it anymore. And there isnt an error code for it either.
I am able to burn cd-r. Sorry I didnt mention this previously.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Was that with Nero or Drag n drop CD/DVD from Sony?

anna17
Visitor

just windows drag and drop with sony