Join now - be part of our community!

slow running laptop

profile.country.en_GB.title
riwatts1
Visitor

slow running laptop

Hi I have VGN-G11VN laptop, which is lovely in its size, weight looks. However it came with Vista Business and it is so slow it is next to useless. Any ideas how I can speed it up. Would reverting to XP Pro which came with it help???? or should I just get a Mac

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

Hello Riwatts1,

the G11 is a very nice model! It's was developed for administrative tasks and has a very durable and light chassis. It is however also not exactly fresh. Launched in Spring 2007, it's a bit dated in internet years.

It ships with Vista Business, which is fine as such. It was shipped when Vista launched however, and the initial Vista release is notorious for the bad responsiveness. That's why Microsoft replaced the core of Vista with that of Windows Server 2008 in Vista's Service Pack 1. If you apply the service packs - which will take some time - your G Series will become more responsive, faster and stable. Tests have shown that there is no speed difference between fully patched XP, Vista and 7. Don't downgrade to XP, install the service packs and you'll be fine.

The G Series is not a powerhouse, but it should do fine with normal office/internet use.

I hope this helps. =]

riwatts1
Visitor

Thanks, I will check what service pack it is running. Updates are currently off as it keeps downloading an update which then stops me saving MS Office files back to our server at work!

If the thing can be made to start up and not keep giving not responding errors with this patch then it will be a brilliant laptop for my work needs. I'll let you know.

riwatts1
Visitor

Hi

Its running service pack 2, so I guess there is no hope for it.

Richard

KatherineYH
Visitor

The two major reasons for a slow running laptop are a corrupt Windows registry and virus infiltration. The Windows registry is a database that continuously gathers data. Over the span of time some of the data in the registry becomes redundant, useless and corrupt. As the Windows access the registry to undertake any job, the volume of data that Windows have to handle becomes huge and cumbersome. This makes the laptop to run slow. Also, the presence of virus in a laptop can make it run very slow. A virus is self replicating and therefore, with time takes up more memory space of the computer, resulting in the slow speed of the laptop.

The truth is a poor exscuse for lack of imagination http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/text-smiley.png