Join now - be part of our community!

A117S Cpu Fan

andytheoracle
Visitor

A117S Cpu Fan

Can someone let me know what the "normal" operation of the CPU fan is? When I have the AC connected it speeds up when I just copy files to the disk or run a program, even if the machine has only been on a few minutes.

In battery only mode it's more quiet. I know the power management stuff can change the operation of the fan but question above is to check that my laptop is operating normally. When the fan speeds up/slows down on AC power it does seem quite noisy.

Also should the fan always be going. When set to Level it's very quiet but it's still going ? I would have thought that it would have stopped now and again. I have updated with all the latest drivers etc (inc. BIOS update)

I'm probably worrying too much but I can't say I noticed this "feature" until a couple of days ago.

TIA

Andy

5 REPLIES 5
TygerTyger
Visitor

Sony laptops all seem to have loud fans, it's just something you have to live with. It sounds as though yours is operating normally.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah, though my GRX wasn't that noisy

Dziga
Visitor

the A series is characterised by a very quiet fan that's always on and rarely speeds up unless you're really thrashing the CPU.

andytheoracle
Visitor

Thanks for the all the replies. I'm pleased that the fan should always be on as I haven't seen it stop yet, unless I turn off the laptop :smileygrin:

It's strange how the fan seems to reasonably quiet on AC for periods of time and then it starts to ramp up but never really goes back to being quiet. On battery it seems OK.

It's not a big problem to me but I wanted to understand how it's meant to work.

Thanks again...any more thoughts appreciated.

Andy

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The main reason for it being loud on AC is because the performance levels is set to oerformance, whereas with battery it is running on adaptive.