Join now - be part of our community!

Playstation 2 iLink

mattbees
Visitor

Playstation 2 iLink

Does anyone know what would happen if I connected my K215Z to my PS2 using iLink? I just want to make use of my iLink plug thing and the only "compatible" thing I have is my PS2. I wish sony put more connectivity options in these "AV" laptops, maybe a composite video-in instead of those shoddy tv-out sockets, and at least a bl0ody infra red port. Oh well, at least its got some fancy squiggles on it and "sony" printed everywhere...

13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

Nothing should happen.

Infra-red is virtually dead and is classed as a legacy device. Bluetooth is the adopted alternative.

Video inputs are available on some notebooks - you just have to pay more. Most people use i-link/IEEE1394 to transfer their video.

TV output is very popular which is why it is included.

mattbees
Visitor

hey sorry if i hit a nerve, I like sony too but I cant help but feel a bit dissappointed with their range of laptops. infra red may almost be dead but its still handy, especially when bluetooth isnt supplied and the dongle costs way too much. By the way, why is the sony bluetooth dongle so expensive? Anyway, dont you think that the tv-out option is just a bit poor though? the picture rarely displays clearly or in proportion and wouldnt it be better to use the fancy new x-black screen or the monitor-out to plug into a projector or TFT screen? I just personally think it would be a hell of a lot more appealing to have the ability to connect your tv or digibox and use your vaio as a dvd recorder or something like that. not all sony camcorders have ilink either, and not everyone has a sony camcorder. I just find myself wondering why I chose sony over dell, dell even offered 1gb ram too. nevermind...

Anyway, back to what i was originally asking, what is the PS2 iLink port for? I heard it was for connecting two consoles together for link games (what link games?!). Has anyone tried connecting their PS2 with iLink? also, where can you buy iLink cables for realistic "im not a stupid gormless idiot" prices?

By the way, tv-out is so not popular, have you seen the poll on the club vaio home page?

Thanks for your help!

robpaxton
Explorer

You didn't hit any nerve - I just gave you some information.

The output from the composite output is as good as any other composite output. The TV is the limiting factor.

You don't have to buy a Sony BT dongle - there are lots of other makes available which should work fine with your computer.

All modern digital cameras now use i-link/firewire/IEEE1394 - not just Sony ones.

I would look at somewhere like Maplin for an i-link cable (search for "firewire cable" on their site)

Most (if not all) Dell notebooks don't have analog video input.

kee-lo_

I don't think you hit a nerve to be honest.

Why would you want to link PS2? Backup of saved ganes?
This hasn't been implimented yet.

Most people use the networking connection to play games online, never heard of them using it to transfer data.

Foxhound
Visitor

The ilink on the ps2 were used in some games. I used it once for Gran Tourismo 3. I needed two ps2's two tv's and two game discs to play it via ilink.
It wasn't an bad experience but it was in my opinion overrated.
I also read that in newer ps2's the ilink port was dropped in favour of cheaper production costs.
I think in the future you'll probably be able to connect two gaming consoles via wirless.
As for the ilink cable. I bought an 3rd party cable because Sony really overcharge some of their "original accesories". The ilink cable is one of them.
:angry:

kee-lo_

They will probably go wireless so you and you friend can be in a different room.

mattbees
Visitor

ok im glad i didnt cause any offence by putting down the vaio range. Im just used to getting my head bitten off by people who would die for a sony product...

I only wanted to connect my ps2 to see if there were any clever things you can do, just simply usinng the laptop screen would be pretty cool.

So is iLink the same industry standard as firewire? For example, could I use the iLink port to connect to an iPod using firewire? If so then I didnt realise it was the same thing, I was under the impression that iLink was just sony's version of firewire which only worked with other sony stuff.

Thanks for the info, I guess I dont feel so disappointed now. As for the whole dell thing, I have a dell desktop pc and was looking for a dell laptop cos I was completely blown away by their service and value.

Cheers

robpaxton
Explorer

robpaxton
Explorer

I-link is the same as firewire 400 and IEEE1394. It can be used with the iPod.

By the way :wink: I'm using an Apple Powerbook so don't have any axe to grind (although I do like Vaios too)