Join now - be part of our community!

Unable to access Internet even though it says it's connected

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
VicJo35
Visitor

Unable to access Internet even though it says it's connected

We have purchased a Blu-Ray Player BDP-S380. We also bought a netgear universal WIFI adapter. Using the ethernet ports, we have been able to connect the player to our internet (an orange Livebox). However, every time we attempt to use the internet, we get one of 2 messages: The service cannot be connected at this time because the server replied with incorrect or invalid information Or the service cannot be connected at this times because the server failed.

I have spoken to Orange who won't help saying it is not a server fault & that they don't assist with blu-ray enquiries.

As the internet connection seems ok (the IP address & gateway path etc matches ours) we don't know what else we can do with this. We aren't the most techie minded couple!

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

catmambo has overlooked a simple mistake!, you say you are using a netgear adaptor?, no good you must use the Sony UWA-BR100 dongle with your player in order for this to work, get this first before you do anything else.

i should like to add also the viable alternative, you could hardwire it using a LAN cable to your router (RJ45),  as the dongle is rather expensive!

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Have you tried updating the firmware, and then doing a full reset of the device. They are just plug and play so if this doesn't fix it, then the issue lies somewhere else. Maybe then try and test it on a different Internet connection?

Thanks

VicJo35
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify your suggestion for me please (in very simple terms, I don't know what firmware is) as I am not very computer savvy, I am sure it is a very simple solution once I know what you mean. Thanks. 🙂

Bravia55HX

catmambo has overlooked a simple mistake!, you say you are using a netgear adaptor?, no good you must use the Sony UWA-BR100 dongle with your player in order for this to work, get this first before you do anything else.

i should like to add also the viable alternative, you could hardwire it using a LAN cable to your router (RJ45),  as the dongle is rather expensive!

VicJo35
Visitor

Well, we bought the Netgear adaptor after research on the internet which confirmed they are usable in the ethernet ports. I didn't think this was the problem as it has found the wifi details. Although, as the Sony one is the same price online as the Netgear one was on the high street, we will just return it and order the Sony one, but will be trying the hardwire suggestion first.

Thanks

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

yes, try the hardwire first, its the cheapest option and if you can hide the cable its the better option as the connection will be more stable, i cannot vouch for mobile network internet services, we use Virgin Media with no issues at all ( and a damn sight faster!)