Join now - be part of our community!

how to download skype on kdl-40nx713

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
kdl-40nx713
Visitor

how to download skype on kdl-40nx713

Hi,

I've recently bough Sony kdl-40NX713 TV, all working fine specially internet widgets (youtube,iplayer....), I'm intrested in having Skype installed on my TV. Can someone let me know, is it possible? if yes then how do i go about it....Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bravia55HX

Hi,

im sorry but your tv is not equipped for skype

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Bravia55HX

Hi,

im sorry but your tv is not equipped for skype

kdl-40nx713
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, much appriciated.

profile.country.GB.title
jp_paul
New

Hi,

Can you expand on this please? Is this something that can be added by Sony through a firmware update in the future or is this Sony's subtle way of making us upgrade to the 723 series? Surely the only thing required is the app?

Thanks

Boffgoth
Visitor

I had the same question. I'll take the absence of a response to yours as a 'yes upgrade'! Ah well.

drhowells
New

This TV is technically incapable of having Skype. People seem to think TVs are like computers, you install an app and it just works. It just isn't that simple. TVs have to be designed to work with certain programs and have the infrastructure to run them.

I am sure that in the next few years this will be different and you will be able to just run anything, but for now this is still new technology and there will be restrictions.

profile.country.GB.title
jp_paul
New

I'll ask again: Can someone please expand on this please? If hardware is missing, then what is it? I don't know of any chip that's specifically required to take a USB cam input and use skype/voip protocols that the processor that's already in there can't manage - back to my point, surely it's just a firmware and software update that's required to get skype working. What exactly does the 723 have that the 713 doesn't? #

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

As drhowells has explained, Tv's presently can't simply be updated in the same way as PC's do.

The 723 was based on an entirely new software and hardware platform which featured skype as an integral feature. The 713 was based on the previous platform which did not and so it can't be backported unfortunately. Whilst we do try and backport as many IPTV services as possible, its not always possible with some applciations such as Skype.

Thanks