Join now - be part of our community!

z4 tablet new screen will not light up

random667
Visitor

z4 tablet new screen will not light up

The screen on my z4 tablet got cracked.

I opened it up and disconnected the screen while the tablet was on, after that the old screen wouldn't come back on when I tried it again.

I ordered a new screen, this new screen will not light up either.

I know the touch interface works because I can hear music when I touch it where the music widget play button is on my home screen.

But there's no picture.

Is there something I have to do to get this to work, some kind of safety override reset or something?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

By opening the tablet and removing the display whilst turned on, you've probably shorted the backlight controller.

There's a reason EVERY teardown removes the battery asap.

random667
Visitor

I was afraid of that.

I'm going to assume the backlight controller is on the mainboard and is non replaceable.

Any resources for a replacement mainboard?

czguy
Visitor

A similar thing happened to me. I have ordered a replacement screen and had a local cellphone service center to to change it. I was present while the technician was working on it and I've occasionally glanced at him to see his progress. I've noticed notification LED to flash and realized that he was replacing the screen while the device is on. The new screen would not display anything and after he had connected the old one with cracked digitizer when I've asked him to, it would not work either. I know that the motherboard is still operational as the tablet goes through the bootup process making usual sounds, LED flashing and buzzing...

The technician keeps telling me that screen I have supplied is faulty. Doing some online research, it seems that he blew the backlight filter (fuse resistor). Am I correct with my guess? Can Sony replace this part (I've seen some Youtube videos micro soldering replacement resistors)?

Sir_oku
Visitor

Can any one help me.

I have just cracked my screen. 

Where can I buy a replacement screen?

czguy
Visitor

I get my screen replacements from eBay. Sellers are mostly from China and Hong Kong.