Join now - be part of our community!

Wifi Connection issue still not fixed?

profile.country.GB.title
Chayton69
Explorer

Wifi Connection issue still not fixed?

The issue of connecting the Sony Tablet to WiFi seems prevalent and I am surprised there is no more substantial prgress since Oct last year in resolving this. If anyone know different pls tell me!

I took delivery of my Tablet on Friday. could not get it to connect to a BT Homehub 2 with WPA/WPA 2 security.

Could see my homehub router with an excellent signal but when it tries to connect, it dropd the router strength to -1mbs (or told me the router is out of range), scanns without connecting, has trouble obtaining the IP address etc. etc.

After much googling, I removed all Wifi secutiry on Saturday morning and connected straight away, no problem. Upgraded the Android version to 3.2.1 (release 2). Everything great. Tablet turned off over night, connected straight away the following morning. All good.

On Monday evening, being uncomfortable with zero router security, I began stepping through each of the router security options (WEP/WPA/WPA2 etc.) one by one and testing whether the Tablet would connect and stay connected. Got up to WPA/WPA2 PSK (which it had previously failed to connect to), stayed connected, played all evening, all good.

Turned off last night. This morning, connected straight away running with a good signal (72mbs).

Suddenly, this afternoon, it dropped off the wifi and will now not connect at all, giving the same issues experienced on Friday.

I have begun stepping back through the different router security settings with no joy (have not got as far as zero security yet!)

I have to then go and connect all the other devices in the house to the router everytime I change the security settings.

My tablet was sent to me in the UK from the Netherlands so taking it back to the store is not really an option.

This is pretty much a disaster at the moment. I managed to download Wifi Analyzer and checked the router - no issue.

I have consistently "forgotten" then re-added the wifi network on the tablet to no avail.

Right now, my tablet tells me it is connected to BT Open Zone - which is requesting payment to use - but my homehub which the tablet is sat next to is out of range.

Is there any sensible resolution to this problem that I might have missed?

Thx

Chayton

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
mpattenden
New

Chayton,

I went through a similar phase a few years back with my desktop pc - had all sorts of issues tried different wireless channels etc which helped some but not totally then got a new router that made it slightly better but still not perfect.

This is all well before my tablet in the end I changed my security to only allow specified mac address to connect and hey presto all good and never looked back.

Might be worth a try.

hth

Padster

tsparuk
Visitor

Had same issue with my Netgear Router (DGND3300v2). I have fixed the issue turning off "G" and going with "N" only and  by dropping security to WPA-PSK from WPA2-PSK. Now I appreciate thats not ideal but having MAC address filtering in place softens the blow. Screenshot attached to show settings.

Hope this helps.

RouterSettingsResize.jpg

profile.country.GB.title
Chayton69
Explorer

Thanks for your advice above.

For the time being, I have reduced the security on my router to WEP and managed to stay connected....just. Been okay for about a week then dropped off last night and I had to reboot the router to fix the problem. Have not yet tried this morning.

Curiously, I visited a friend who had the same model BTHomehub and connected first time without any issue whatsoever and maintained a good strong connection.  I took a note of all their homehub router settings and will compare them to my own as soon as I get a chance.

Incidentally, on a slightly different take, I have downloaded and installed and activated the BTFon app so I can connect to Wifi when I am away from my house. Unfortunately, the tablet seems to prioritise a BTFon connection over my router connection. If I wanted to connect this way, I would have to login to BTFon every time I wanted to use my router at home which is nuts. I have tried "forgetting" the BTFon network on the Tablet but it does not want to know. Just brings it back in prioritising over my router connection everytime I turn on my tablet.

Any clues?

CT-SonyForum
Visitor

This might not help your specific problem but just in case, I was having real trouble getting my tablet to reconnect to my wifi network every time it powered up or woke it from sleep unless I went into the wifi settings page would would spark it into connecting properly.

Using a fix for the ZTE Blade phone seemed to do the trick for me - now wifi is connecting within a second or two of the screen powering on.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bladewififix

nikkilim
Visitor

Hi Chay. Are there also other devices that can connect to this same wireless router with no problems?

Looks like you got an authentication issue here. How about updating the wireless driver on that table PC, not sure tho if there's one available. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Chayton69
Explorer

Hi Nikkilim,

The short answer is that yes therere other devices connected to the same router. Including iPhones, laptops and a xbos360. All connect with no issue.

I don't know about a driver update forthetablet. Cannot see any way of doing it. Nothing on tne Sony website nor in the Tablet S settings. If there is a way of updating the drivers that someone knows of, please share it here.

Thx

Chayton.