Join now - be part of our community!

Tablet Z reboots continuously

SOLVED
JakG
Visitor

Tablet Z reboots continuously

I have a Xperia Tablet Z (SGP311) that is continuosly rebooting. It shows the Sony/Xperia graphic, then "Powered by Android", then the blue floating waves, then after about 30 seconds it reboots and starts booting again. I cannot get the Xperia Companion app on Mac to recognise the tablet to try to reset the software, or to re-image it. I have tried to run "adb" and "fastboot" commands, but adb fails with "unauthorised". Is there some way to load an image on the MicroSD card and get it to boot from that ? Or some other way of recovering this tablet ? 

Xperia Tablet Z 

This tablet has been running for several years. I don't know which release it is running (can't look the info up in it now!). The last thing I did was upgrade Chrome using the Google Play store. Then I was using Chrome, it froze, rebooted, and has been rebooting since.

Jak.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JakG
Visitor

OK, in Developer World, I had a look at Open Devices. Towards the bottom of the list of Downloads / Software Binaries, it shows "Software binaries for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z". So there must be some support still. I downloaded the Flash Tool (EMMA) from Developer World onto a Win PC, installed it, opened it and connected my Tablet Z. After a few attempts it was recognised. After a couple of attempts at flashing it with the indicated image, it worked.

My Tablet Z is up and running again.

I have had to start from scratch, but it recognised the account and is in the process of reloading the apps that were previously on the tablet.

I hope this informations helps someone else with similar problems.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Jonas
Master

Hi @JakG, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

If you have a SD card in the device, have you tried removing it? If you haven't done that, please do.

Regarding the repair process, do you have the tablet powered off and not connected to the computer when you start with the repair? Click on "Software repair" and check the little box in the bottom left corner where it says "My device can't be found, powered on or is a Smartwatch 3" > click "Next" in the bottom right corner and continue with the on screen instructions.

/t5/FAQ/How-to-perform-a-software-repair-with-Xperia-Companion/m-p/1103057

Let me know if that helps! Slightly_smiling_Face

JakG
Visitor

Thanks for suggesting to remove the SD card. It got a step further in the process. Now it has thrown up a warning that the bootloader is unlocked, which is correct. So I cannot use Xperia Companion (AFAIK).

Bootlocker messageBootlocker message

I have had a look at Developer World, and it indicates that the Tablet Z (SGP311) is not a supported legacy device - no software available.

Do you have any next step suggestions ?

JakG
Visitor

OK, in Developer World, I had a look at Open Devices. Towards the bottom of the list of Downloads / Software Binaries, it shows "Software binaries for Xperia Z, Xperia ZL and Xperia Tablet Z". So there must be some support still. I downloaded the Flash Tool (EMMA) from Developer World onto a Win PC, installed it, opened it and connected my Tablet Z. After a few attempts it was recognised. After a couple of attempts at flashing it with the indicated image, it worked.

My Tablet Z is up and running again.

I have had to start from scratch, but it recognised the account and is in the process of reloading the apps that were previously on the tablet.

I hope this informations helps someone else with similar problems.

Jonas
Master

Hi again @JakG,

Oh, I didn't know that the bootloader was unlocked but that explains why it wasn't working in Xperia Companion at least.

There is still software available for the Xperia Tablet Z even if the device has reached end of support, but that only affects spare parts on this specific device, normally the software "support" is removed at the same time as the device reaches it's end of support, but not this time around.

Thank you so much for sharing the solution and I'm very glad to hear that your tablet is up and running again! Slightly_smiling_Face