Join now - be part of our community!

Sony P Tablet problems, apps not loading, error msgs, eReader, no support

profile.country.en_GB.title
andycam
Visitor

Sony P Tablet problems, apps not loading, error msgs, eReader, no support

Has anyone else bought the Sony P tablet yet? 
Have contacted Sony support desk, after a week haven't received any email reply to my questions.

Apps that are pre-loaded don't work properly.

1) Crackle (Sony owned movie store).  Rented a video.  Doesn't load. £3.50 wasted

2) Driver (game) pre-loaded.  Doesn't work.  Just crashes

3) Apps that are "compatible" with Sony P don't load properly.  The apps can't seem to work out whether they should load over the 2 screens over 1, and therefore some apps or websites, e.g. Guardian, get squeezed in the middle of two screens.

4) Gamesloft app is pre-loaded.  No games available

5) Can't retrieve movies from Sony unlimited Moviestore.  Get error message "80024806".  Anyone have ideas what this error msg refers to?

6) Sony eReader.  No apparent way to download books to view within reader.  Empty library. No native Sony book store allowing you to download books from eReader.

7) Google Books. Books load vertically instead of left to to right using the clamshell design

😎 Youtube.  You can only view on one screen, cannot maximize.  Same applies with BBC iPlayer, you cannot maximize the screen.

Anyone have ideas how what error msg "80024806" refers to, how to import/buy books into Sony eReader

6 REPLIES 6
timpegg
Visitor

hi I have one as well i dont know what the error code is I havnt got an error code yet. there doesnt seem to be any uk support for the reader app only supported in the usa, and because of the dual screens apps like google books or kindle only read on the one screen if  held like a book, time will tell as to how many apps will support the dual screen format. I have downloaded movies from sonys video app without a problem so far and as yet not had any apps fail to work.sorry cant be of any help, perhaps take your tablet into sony store for some help. video only plays on one screen its not supported to play on both, it wouldnt be right with the picture split in the middle. on the whole there are not many apps made specifically for the tablet p there are some but we will have to wait for more. I bought mine so I could take it to work and use out and about because it is the most portable tablet around for home I have an ipad which in my opinion is still far supertior to any android tablet..

profile.country.de_DE.title
King_bob.
Explorer

strangely enough I only have 3 major issues with the P tablet

1) the gyro is inverted. It thinks it is level when you turn the tablet over

2) constaint network interruptions by games and when downloading (havent checked if it happens when doing nothing)

3) battery life is terrible (not even one day in airplane mode and standby)

-I dont event want the sony video store on my device (but I cant delete it either ) :slight_frown:

-the pre installed games work fine (though I dont have a game called driver either)

-most apps seem to work in 1 and two screen mode, didnt have any issues there... only really anoying when the app has to restart when switching modes.

-Gamesloft doesnt have any games either.... though that doesnt bother me... sony could have left that off as well though, no point in having it.

-havent tried sony unlimited yet....

-I use sony e-reader, It found all of the books which I installed on the SD care without a hitch, though would have liked a brightness slider like in aldiko (left side of screen), and would have been much mor fitting with a page turn animation,,,, (you would think that they would have thought of that.....it would add a whole lot of 'zing' to the app)

-to 'install' existing books to the eReader just dump them on to the SDcard (books or eBooks directory works) then start the application and it will find them. In order to do this you will either need a WiFi connection with shared folders and a file browser (es file exploere is my favorite, downloadable on the market), then you can grab from your shared folders on the PC and copy to the SD card, or, you can use the unfortunately undelivered micro usb cable (you would think that with a device which costs 600€  they would have atleast added a stupid 10 cent cable) hook it up to your computer, and browse the SDcard of the device using the file explorer from windows.

-dont use google books

-dont use youtube

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi andycam,

We escalated your comments to Sony support & hopefully you have received an email from them now, if not could you let us know please..:smileyconfused:

Let me have a go at answering some of questions..

Have you updated to the latest version (V1.1.0) of Crackle for Sony Tablet because the update should resolve the issue your having..

If you haven't updated to the lastest version then please do the following..

Open Android Market place

Search for 'Crackle for Sony Tablet'

Click on Update to install the latest version – the latest version is V 1.1.0 November 19th, 2011

Again with the Sony Entertainment Network error your experiencing, could you confirm that you have all the latest system updates installed?

If so are you still get the same error message when trying to re-download the movie sample..:smileyconfused:

As to Google books loading vertically the option to rotate the screen on the Tablet P depends on the App so unfortunately the browser does not support screen rotation..

However I noticed in another thread that someone mentioned that there is an app available in the Market Place called "Orientation Control" that may allow you to change the screen orientation. I have not tried the app so unfortunately can't confirm if it will indeed work on your tablet..

Hope this helps..:smileyconfused:

ebeneezerc
Visitor

The Sony Tablet P battery life on standby is very poor - it is a consstent comment in all the reviews and forums, so something is awry. I have installed better battery manager app to check out partial wakelocks and it seems that the Sony email app wakes up to check for email and this may be part of the cause. So, I have tried setting the email refresh times to "never" and that helped a little. Also I installed auto airplane which switches off the WiFi and phone/3G when the Tablet P is in standby.  So it is a little improved, but still compares very badly with e.g. ipad 2 which can last for days on standby whereas you might be lucky and get 2 days with the tablet P. Interestingly I also have a Vaio P which has similar battery issues - aparently it isn't something that Sony has mastered yet

higher-ince
New

I turn both the P and S off over night, or if not using them for any length of time, to preserve the batteries. The batteries are poor against the iPad and HP Web OS.

I had trouble with poor wifi connection on the P which does not help when downloading anything. Then I found not only is the P wifi connection ropey but my broadband connection is spiking and dropping. It might be worth checking out broadband. BT are currently looking into my broadband connection as my upload speed runs between 0 and .038.

Having said that I prefer the P (and S) to the iPad - I sold it.

profile.country.GB.title
yellowshark454
New

If you have doubts on BT connectyion  definitley get them in. A few weeks back I was getting download speeds of 2-3mb down to less than1mb.  They changed over my terminal box (and I am sure must have also reset capping at the exchange and I am now consistently hitting 12mb on iPlayer:smileyhappy: