Join now - be part of our community!

How does 3G Actually work?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mariner2000
New

How does 3G Actually work?

Sorry if this is a daft question but the Sony site and come to that none of the others I've checked actually explains how you use 3G on a tablet.

Obviously on a phone I am paying for a contract but how does this work with a tablet?

After shelling out the extra money do I also have to sign up for an additional contract?

If so what does it cost what options are there can I just pay as I go so to speak?  Where is this information?

Why is non of this information anywhere do they want to frighten off potential customers by making these things difficult before you have even purchased one?!

I'm quite up with technology but I have no idea as far as this is concerned.

Thanks in anticpation

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

3G in general is down to a data provider such as T-Mobile, o2, Orange etc. There are various deals which you can go for but it all boils down what you are after.

Most likely as it will be similar to phones, you will have an optional 3G option which you can turn on and off. As for forking out extra money, well you will need to do so as in the UK and most countries, wireless data access is not free if you go for a 3G option.
Some providers will give you the option of a rolling contract, some will give you a 12 month and some may have a pay as you go service. To be honest, if you phone supports tethering, I would use that or look at a "mi-fi". It is a little dongle which is like a 3G module which you can use with multiple devices if forking out for a 3G tablet is a bit much.

No company does it on purpose to not mention this information but the problem is staying impartial. Because Sony are not providing the 3G data access, it would look unfair or biased on their part if for example they recommend o2 over Orange. Also if a data carrier decided to change their rates, they are not obliged to inform the manufacturer so it becomes hard to always keep up to speed.

To be honest, my best bet would be to visit a mobile phone shop to learn more about tarrifs and offers.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

3G in general is down to a data provider such as T-Mobile, o2, Orange etc. There are various deals which you can go for but it all boils down what you are after.

Most likely as it will be similar to phones, you will have an optional 3G option which you can turn on and off. As for forking out extra money, well you will need to do so as in the UK and most countries, wireless data access is not free if you go for a 3G option.
Some providers will give you the option of a rolling contract, some will give you a 12 month and some may have a pay as you go service. To be honest, if you phone supports tethering, I would use that or look at a "mi-fi". It is a little dongle which is like a 3G module which you can use with multiple devices if forking out for a 3G tablet is a bit much.

No company does it on purpose to not mention this information but the problem is staying impartial. Because Sony are not providing the 3G data access, it would look unfair or biased on their part if for example they recommend o2 over Orange. Also if a data carrier decided to change their rates, they are not obliged to inform the manufacturer so it becomes hard to always keep up to speed.

To be honest, my best bet would be to visit a mobile phone shop to learn more about tarrifs and offers.

Hope that helps.

mariner2000
New

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've seen the mi fi they are great but expensive if you only think you'll need it 3 times a year or so.

I have a blackberry 8520 which i dont think supports tethering, the wife has a desire which may do so I'll explore that, thanks.

I just wish SOny would explain the basic of wha you said above it would have helped.

Thanks again

hip_hop_rob
Explorer

Hi Mariner2000,

Welcome to the forum.

If it helps, I can confirm that I have an HTC Desire too and can turn on its wifi hotspot function which works perfectly with the S1. 

Hope that  helps?