Join now - be part of our community!

BBC iPlayer wmv Files

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonyprice_uk
Visitor

BBC iPlayer wmv Files

Hi have Sony Tablet S. It is not possible to download programs from BBC iPlayer, however it should be possible to download programs for mobile devices to a pc then transfer them to the tablet.

When I try and transfer the files I get a message that says 'Although this device plays video files, it does not support wmv files.

So I renamed the file as .txt and transfered it to the tablet then renamed back to .wmv but the file is scrambled even though I am on wifi internet - exactly the same on PC and Tablet and the file plays ok on the PC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Whilst the tablet is a mobile device, its Android based and I think BBC can encode the DRM to only allow the video to play on specific devices only. They might (will check this on their site) have excluded Android based devices as a portable device and maybe the reason why you are having problems but another reason to use the streaming app's instead which of course is going to be useless if no wifi is available.

They do have a list of devices you can use to download and play videos so I will have a look for that list on their website and post it here.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
subhamj
Visitor

When that message pops up, I just copy it over anyway

I watch stuff  using a 3rd party app, just type media player in the android market search tool

Hope this helps.    

Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Whilst the tablet is a mobile device, its Android based and I think BBC can encode the DRM to only allow the video to play on specific devices only. They might (will check this on their site) have excluded Android based devices as a portable device and maybe the reason why you are having problems but another reason to use the streaming app's instead which of course is going to be useless if no wifi is available.

They do have a list of devices you can use to download and play videos so I will have a look for that list on their website and post it here.