Join now - be part of our community!

Battery Issues

dfadfgfdgh
Visitor

Battery Issues

I have had my Xperia Z4 for nearly four years now.

Is it fair to assume that I should expect the battery to be very poor by now?

I ask because when my tablet is in idle mode it can last for over one day easy.

However if i use the internet or YouTube I get about 3 hours of life. This is with the screen set to its darkest setting – I use it before bed mainly.

I have used the battery usage app to check and the graph takes a massive nosedive whenever I use the internet or YouTube.

Also, as suggested in another thread, I downloaded ‘GSam battery monitor’ to check no apps were running. (I don’t play games on my tablet either).

Lastly and this probably related to the battery, when I do use the internet or YouTube often when the tablet gets to 35% battery the tablet just shuts off. When i try to restart I get the battery symbol.

Does this sound like I need to purchase a new tablet?

Thanks Tom

P.s. apologies for the random name displaying!?!

Steps taken so far;

1) I have done a factory reset.

2) Made sure everthing is up to date.

3) Activated stamina mode

4) Kept screen at lowest brighness

Seems like the tablet has lived its life..

I would suggest people purchase an IPad or a Samsung.

5 REPLIES 5
Jonas
Master

Hi @dfadfgfdgh, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

In your case it does sound like there is something related to the battery, or the power in general as the device turns off even though you have some battery left.

When this occurs, do you have to charge the tablet to be able to power it on again, or is it enough to just connect it to a charger to start it?

You can of course try and perform a software repair using Xperia Companion to see if this is related to software in the device, just to be 100% sure. Do note that this will delete all data stored on the internal storage of the device, so creating a backup with the same program is advised.

If you are happy with the device in general and you rather spend money on having it repaired, or if you rather put that money towards a new tablet, that is entirely your choice, but the battery can be replaced at an authorized service centre. If you want to have it examined and repaired, get in touch with your Local support team and they will assist you further with this.

Let me know how it goes!

ounce
Visitor

I am having similar issues.I charge the tablet overnight and then try to use it the next day. I am able to use it for about 10-15 minutes then the tablet shuts itself down with the battery indicator showing no charge. It's very frustrating. Over the past 6 months the battery seemed to have lost charge very quickly to the point where it would not last all day like when I first purchased the tablet.

Now I can on;y use it for a short time before it shuts itself down.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Jonas
Master

Hi @ounce and sorry to hear that you are experiencing the same behaviour. Slightly_frowning_Face

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting that I recommend in my previous reply to @dfadfgfdgh? If you haven't tried that yet, please do and let me know how it went.

dfadfgfdgh
Visitor

Hi @Jonas,

Thank you for offering some solutions.

The software repair did not solve the issue and so the battery life still falls very short of its advertised ability.

Again appreciate the local support team link - although I will not be using it because i think after a while I will face the same issues again. Basically my 'trust' in Sony is gone (coupled with owning a Z3+ that also had battery issues!).

All the best, Tom (aka dfadfgfdgh)

Jonas
Master

Hi again @dfadfgfdgh and sorry to hear that there was no change. Slightly_frowning_Face

The batteries do not last forever and you may experience this kind of behaviour on devices that has been in use for a couple of years and this is not specific to Xperia devices, this is how Li-Ion batteries work.

If you are happy with the tablet, you can always send it and see how much it will cost to have it repaired. If the cost is to high and you rather spend the money towards a new tablet, the service centre can always recycle the device, free of charge.

Have a nice weekend! Slightly_smiling_Face