Join now - be part of our community!

XP on VGN - NR11Z ?

Eklektric
Visitor

XP on VGN - NR11Z ?

Hi, is it possible to run windows xp (stabile) on my vaio vgn - nr11z?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Eklektric and welcome to Club Vaio.

Although it is possible to run XP on any computer, the NR-Series Vaios have been designed to run on Vista only.

Sony do not support a downgrade on this model and they will not support you if anything goes wrong. You would not be able to make a warranty claim unless you reinstall Vista.

Sony do not provide any XP Drivers - so you would have to find XP Drivers for every device on the system individually by going to third party sites or to the manufacturers' sites. There are an increasing number of devices for which there is no XP Driver.

To add to this, Sony will not release any Utilities for your model - so things like Fn Keys, Screen Brightness, Volume Keys, Battery Checker, Power Management etc. will never work properly.

Unless you must run XP to join a domain at work, I would try to use Vista.

:slight_frown:

Eklektric
Visitor

wow.. this can't be true, A lot of my software just doesn't work on vista.. and vista works sooo slow, this really sucks. Will Sony release XP drivers ever? Please.. Thanx for the help; Grtz

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Individual users will slowly find the required drivers and I'm sure they will post their findings here to help others. We have seen this problem with the FZ11 and FZ21 Series and slowly solutions are being found. Unfortunately, none of the NR-Series are likely to have either drivers or utilities released as no NR Vaio is being released with Vista Business preinstalled.

Sony do not sell ANY products with XP Preinstalled any more, so they are not creating XP Drivers and Utilities. They are providing XP drivers (and in some cases Utilities) in agreement with Microsoft for Vaios sold with Vista Business preinstalled as these have an XP Downgrade option from Microsoft within the Vista license.

The time will come when newer machines will be very difficult to run on XP as driver support will not be maintained.

Keep an eye on posts in this forum.

:slight_frown:

Eklektric
Visitor

Hi, if it isn't possible to install a stable xp on my vaio vgn-nr11z I would like to get the most out of vista. I want to remove all the vaio software but I'm afraid a lot of other applications will not work anymore after I removed the vaio software. So what's the best way to remove this software? And are there other tricks to run vista faster. I already changed my layout to classic which helped a little bit.. when I open 'programs' in 'start' it also takes way too long and I don't have much software installed on it. Starting up and shutting down vista also takes very long. The browsing is also very slow and when I open configuration settings it takes about 5 sec before he can show all the icons. Another problem I have is when browsing in explorer my music from winamp, mediaplayer, myspace, etc starts skipping , very annoying
I really think my vaio is runnning way too slow for it's specifications, I don't know that much about computers but I know this is way too slow ( slower then my last computer amd 1800 with only 256mb ram but xp installed on it) Can someone give me some advice? Thanx in advance.. Grtz