Join now - be part of our community!

What kind of external microphone is compatible with Vaio VGN-FE41M

bradscopegems
Visitor

What kind of external microphone is compatible with Vaio VGN-FE41M

I have this laptop with Vista. I have tried connecting an external microphone (Sanyo MP 303) with a mono jack but get no signal recorded. Is the microphone jack socket on the computer a stereo one? In which case, how does one connect a mono microphone? The internal microphone picks up some machine noise, so I really do need to use a good-quality external mike. The on-line specs for this laptop do not state whether the input audio socket is stereo or mono.
The connectors are new, high quality gold-plated ones and wiggling them does not help.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi bradscopegems,

I think you will find that the microphone input is a stereo 3.5 mm jack plug.

This is the case on most laptops where the microphone socket often doubles up as Audio L/R stereo in.

To use a mono microphone, you will need one of these: -

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=1&criteria=usb&ModuleNo=1227&doy=search&C=SO&U=Strat15

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Any mic with a 3.5mm jack should be OK, some of the best ones are headsets, Creative's are good.

bradscopegems
Visitor

Thank you very much. It would be useful to add to the specs list of the computer that the input port is stereo.

bradscopegems
Visitor

I have now tried the Maplin plug adaptor. The adaptor makes the right connections (checked with an ohmmeter) but the computer still does not pick up any sound from the external microphone.Is the internal/external switch perhaps not automatic, but controlled by some software which I have not found? Or did I damage the stereo socket by putting a mono plug into it? I would feel more confident if someone from Sony would confirm that the socket is indeed a stereo jack and that it should work, so I know I have a fault. :thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Microphones are usually mono, so I doubt you've done any damage at all. You've probably forgotten to unmute the microphone. You can do this by clicking on the speaker icon in your system tray, then go to the menu and go to recording devices.

Though if your a Vista user you right click the speaker and click on recording devices.