Join now - be part of our community!

XL 301 - how to get 1080p?

Lar77
Visitor

XL 301 - how to get 1080p?

Just got a new sony W3000 TV and was all excited about getting the full 1080p out of my XL 301 (like it says on the front of the box it came it :devil: ) but it will only go to 1080i. Anyone know how to get 1080p? Is it a graphic card issue, can I upgrade to a new one and which one is compatable or do I just need new drivers for the one in the PC (got the most up to-date one off the sony site).

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lar77,

I think it is a driver issue. Which nVidia driver version do you have installed? You probably just need a newer driver.

There is also a HDMI Software Update here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=1&s=VGX-XL&m=2562

:thinking:

Lar77
Visitor

Thanks for the reply Blencogo,

I've got the latest driver on the sony support site (nVidia Video Driver 7.15.10.9813). Is there a more up-to-date one on there that I can't see or should I get one off the nVidia site?

I'll have a look at the HMDI update too.

Thanks again and Happy new year.

Lar.

Lar77
Visitor

I tried the latest Nvidia drivers last night ( 169.25 ) but the XL 301 didn't like them at all, just got a black screen. Anyone know where I can get older versions that people are using on an XL 301 to get 1080p ??

Thanks for any help

Lar77
Visitor

I just saw this on another website "According to Sony's Web site, the computer is a "full HD 1080 Media Center PC," but it can output only a 1080i signal. (Sony says that applying an nVidia graphics card update will enable 1080p, but it will also prevent DVD playback and cause other problems.)"

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=Mobile_and_Wire...

Anyone know if this is true, I don't want 1080p and not be able to play DVD's

FHB
Visitor

Hi,

you can get 1080p with the SONY driver.
Unfortunately, it's disabled after installing the driver.

You have to enable it in the windows registry manually.
1. Start > Run > Regedit
2. Search the registry for the key "DisableHDTVRes" - there's more than one entry!
3. Set the value of all "DisableHDTVRes" keys to "0"

Reboot and enjoy 1080p.

Lar77
Visitor

Thanks a million for that FHB .... finally 1080p :smileygrin:

Carl_D
Visitor

I am having the same problem on my 201. Have looked for the aforementioned registry entries but cannot find anything. are these registry entries vista specific as i am still running xp

profile.country.en_GB.title
andysp5
Visitor

Is it possible to get 1080p on an XL201 or XL202?