Join now - be part of our community!

XL 301 HDMI & CHANNEL SWITCHING ISSUE.

h4
Visitor

XL 301 HDMI & CHANNEL SWITCHING ISSUE.

hello all,

i know this is a problem suffered by others also, and i know i've seen it mentioned somewhere else, but i'm hoping someone has a fix.

my 301 is connected to the tosh 32c3030d via hdmi, and i also have sky (normal not plus or hd) connected to the tv via scart. my problem is that whe i switch channel from the hdmi1 channel to scart av and then back again to hdmi i get no picture or sound. i need to leave on the hdmi input and force a restart using the power button. i get this when i swith back and forth between the integrated digital tuner and the hdmi also.

8 REPLIES 8
ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hello H4,

My XL201 suffered from this symptom also, but somewhere along the line an update (perhaps the HDMI firmware upgrade?) has fixed it. Anyhoo, another option is to try connecting your TV over Component-out (the five lead option with sound separated from video).

I believe your problem is an HDMI issue with the VGX series. Others have used their devices over Component (NOT composite) and have gr8 success.

Good luck!

h4
Visitor

i use the component out to my projector, which is a whole other problem itself, because the hdmi cannot be connected at the same time as the hdmi so i have to plug and unplug when i use the projector.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

As you can see from my signature, I also use a projector and it's over component out. My Sony screen is over HDMI. I do not have to disconnect one to watch the other, although i do need to fart about with Nvidia control panel to swap resolution and EDTV/HDTV settings. Not the most wife-friendly setup, but so long as i don't get hit by a bus, it'll work 😉

The one bug i have now is that sometimes my sound with switch to optical SDIF without my choice, and i have to bring up the Sound Reality Applet to switch it back to HDMI.

HDMI = root of all evil !! 😉

h4
Visitor

the manual to the 301 says both hdmi and copmonent cannot be used at the same time. sony tech say this to be true also, if i have both plugged in at the same time and the projector off, even if i so much as change the channel from the tv, the signal defaults over to the projector, which as you can imagine is extremely because i need to fire up the projector, and if the sun's treaming in i cant even make out the nvida control panel to change it over to the tv. sony say i need to unplug the component cables and restart.

also i'm not 100% but i think the vaio upscales over hdmi whcih i like.

this is my dream set up so i'm a bit gutted

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

will be able to respond better tmrw, but I can leave projector off but plugged in over component, and change channels etc on HDMI with no switch-over. I've no experience of what Sony/manual say, and am using both Sony LCD and Sony Projector. Most odd. Will write again tmrw.

h4
Visitor

thanks chalkywhite,

no definitely not wife friendly. she insists i get my money back & we go back to using a freeview recorder or something similar. but it is irritating that she's unable to use the media centre because it never comes on.

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

agreed, and I've been down the "sell the media centre" route many times in my mind. I think it's partially a Microsoft thing (they spoil a lot of things) and partly throwing together an Nvidia card with Avermedia tuner, with a.n.other motherboard, perhaps the drivers don't quite marry up??

Anyway, I have the latest drivers for XP MCE 2005 and it's SP2'd of course, the HDMI firmware upgrade, out of the box HDMI lead that came with my Sony LCD, and a Sony-make component lead that connects to the Sony projector. I can't view both outputs at once, but it's fairly simple to switch in the Nvidia control panel, now that I have setup a Sony TV and HDTV profile, which i switch between. The leads have never been unplugged since i bought the Sony component lead.

I'm now looking to stream MCE to an MCE media extender such as those about to hit these shores from Linksys, D-Link or Netgear. I'm going to use the fast Homeplug AV to get the data around the house, as you can't stream video over wireless very well, even over draft-N wireless apparently.

Regards and HNY!

h4
Visitor

you're right, the data is very slow wirelessly although the first time i used Orb to stream the Simpsons (of which i'm not a huge fan) from my 301 to the laptop it was brilliant. mind you this was my first experine of mce also so it was all wow. ironically i saw maplins "high speed networking" solution on sale yesterday for £80, which i thought was ingeniuos but rather dear. fortunately google came up with better results including the Homeplug AV you mentioned, which i'll need to look into also. i also found a harmony 855 remote for around £80, which i though was EXCELLENT