profile.country.GB.title
pecany
New

WMA and MP3 playback interruptions under Vista

WMA and MP3 playback interruptions under Vista

Hello,

I have a SONY VAIO VGN-FE21S notebook and I'm using the latest Vista audio
driver from the SONY-VAIO support website, which seems to cause a problem:

After a clean Vista Ultimate installation I noticed that the playback of wma files (the demo files that came with Vista) and mp3 files (played fine under XP) is shortly interrupted about 25 seconds before the end of each file -- not before that point and not after. This happens not always, but very (!) often.

How can this be fixed?

Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alandy,

Try the following:

1. Go to control panel > Sound > Speakers > headphones.
2. Under ‘Enhancements’, select ‘Disable all enhancements’.
3. Click apply and OK.

Does this solve the problem?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
pecany
New

Hi Rich, thanks,

1. Go to control panel > Sound > Speakers > headphones.
2. Under 'Enhancements', select 'Disable all enhancements'.

There isn't even an enhancements tab
(just: 'General', 'Levels', 'Effects' and 'Advanced'),
so there are no 'enhancements' to disable.

Another idea?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Alandy,

Alas I ‘m unable to explain why the Enhancements tab is missing

Can you confirm that you are looking at Speakers/Headphones > Properties?

6.10.0.5286 does seem to be the latest driver for your model and maybe my solution has no relevance as this tab is not available (it is with pre-installed Vista models with the Sigmatel Audio Driver). Maybe another member that has upgraded can throw some light on this… :thinking:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
pecany
New

Properties?

Yes.

6.10.0.5286 does seem to be the latest driver for your model and maybe my solution has no relevance as this tab is not available (it is with pre-installed Vista models with the Sigmatel Audio Driver).

You wrote "pre-installed Vista models" -- maybe that's the reason why there are also more enhancements installed?

I did a *very* clean Vista Ultimate installation, just added the NVidia video driver and that SigmaTel audio driver -- nothing more!

??? :slight_frown: :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The FE41S comes Vista pre-installed and also uses the Sigmatel CXD9872 High Definition Audio Codec. I wonder whether the pre-installed driver for this model will work for you – at your own risk of course (restore point may be a good idea before installing).

There is of course no guarantee that the ‘enhancements’ are the cause of the problem…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
pecany
New

Now I also hope another member that has
"upgraded to that problem" knows a solution...

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
pecany
New

I just received an answer from VAIO e-Support:

!!!

I bought my NEW VAIO in summer last year, because SONY confirmed it as VISTA-READY!!! Now after a VERY clean Vista installation (just the latest NVidia video driver and SigmaTel audio driver from the Vista download/updates website) audio playback makes problems (see above).

I feel so alone.

I thought as a SONY customer I'd deserve a little more support...!?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I know that the Sony policy on support of upgraded systems seems harsh but in fairness they would not have been able to fully test systems designed for XP with all utilities and programs under Vista. ‘Vista Ready’ only confirms that the hardware is compatible.

Back to the problem in hand…

Have you checked the plug-ins that WMP is using (Tools > Plug-ins > any usable Plug-in in use will be ticked). If there are any I suggest that you try disabling them and see if this cures the problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I know this sounds poor - but why not use Winamp? It's free, and it's one of the best players out there. Plus, you can now play videos too, and I like the playlist features.