Join now - be part of our community!

Upgrade 40GB HDD in VAIO PCG-K315M (2004 model)

whiteswan
Visitor

Upgrade 40GB HDD in VAIO PCG-K315M (2004 model)

I have tried Sony e-support with this one, but no real joy ! [ :smileyfrustrated: ]

My much-used Vaio only has a 40GB HDD installed, factory partitioned into two drives of 20GB each (one = programs, the other = files and media use); I also utilise a 500GB external HDD on USB; OS is XP2 Home.

Put simply, I'm out of space (down to 1.3GB on the C-drive)on the Vaio and am jpeg-hungry ! I need memory capacity when away from base and would like to update by installing larger HDD (say 80 or 120GB, ATA-6), I've read the Sony tutorial and access to the drive on this Vaio is relatively easy (flap on the underside) to undertake a HDD swap.

My limited knowledge (= :thinking: ) raises some questions for expert knowledge help, please:

? Will the Vaio accept a larger-capacity HDD - The BIOS shows "Primary IDE Adaptor 40008MB" - is this a capacity restrictor, or merely indicating what is actually installed ?

? Could the BIOS or Motherboard of this age of model have any capacity restrictions inbuilt, which would prevent me from using a "larger" HDD in place of the existing ?

I like this Vaio and want to keep it in use in an upgraded form, but I'm hesitant to buy a new HDD in the absence of knowledge on the above questions; Sony have helpfully :slight_smile: commented "...upgrading the internal hardware of your Vaio might render your recovery disks unusable as they might no longer recognise your Vaio as being a Vaio....." :devil:

Many thanks - and a Merry Xmas to all !

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi whiteswan,

welcome to Club Vaio.. :slight_smile:

The recent Advice required on replacement hard drive thread HERE may be of interest..

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi whiteswan and welcome,

? Will the Vaio accept a larger-capacity HDD - The BIOS shows "Primary IDE Adaptor 40008MB" - is this a capacity restrictor, or merely indicating what is actually installed ?

That just indicates current HD capacity.
? Could the BIOS or Motherboard of this age of model have any capacity restrictions inbuilt, which would prevent me from using a "larger" HDD in place of the existing ?

You will have no problems with up to 120GB and possibly beyond with a model of this age. I have upgraded a GR series (5 years old) from 30GB to 120GB.

Also there was no problem with the recovery disks. Just make sure that your BIOS is set to default before running the recovery.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
whiteswan
Visitor

Hi!- thanks for the warm welcomes and the very swift and reassuring response.

I'm now happy to go shopping for the 120GB HDD and will also take the opportunity of upgrading the RAM from 512 to 1GB via the recommended Kingston modules - so I should be "all singing and dancing" in the New Year ! :party:

Again, very many thanks for your help.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi whiteswan

Have a look at Cruical.com several members have bought extra RAM from crucial and another benefit from buying from Crucial is there memory compatibility guarantee. :wink:

Also you may find this guide, from Sony, on how to upgrade your Vaio's memory of interest.. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You're welcome whiteswan, happy upgrading :smileygrin:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
whiteswan
Visitor

Thanks, Thalamus - I recently bought some extra memory from Crucial for my other notebook; good product and good website, info etc., I also found the Sony "product" on the Kingston site.

I've already downloaded the two tutorials from Sony - disk replacement and memory upgrade; they're both very useful; thanks for the pointer, anyway.

Thanks again. :smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome whiteswan.. :slight_smile: