Join now - be part of our community!

TX1XP - clean installation?

profile.country.de_AT.title
Wanderer17
Visitor

TX1XP - clean installation?

In case I would buy a TX1XP...

... I would like to clear space on the HDD = I would like to make a clean XP-installation. The plan is:

• deleting the system-partition and the hidden recovery-partition (which one is it - I suppose, there are 2 hidden partitions, the 2nd one for the DVD-player???)
    • setting up a clean system with an XP-installation-DVD
    • extracting/installing the drivers and needed SW from the recovery-DVD.

But what will happen with the non-Windows-(Linux?)-DVD-player? Where is to pay attention that I would not damage the DVD-player?

Does anybody know how this player is started and if a "normal" XP-installation would destroy the starting commands???

Thx.

7 REPLIES 7
royhuang
Visitor

1. there is only 1 <8 gig partition
2. no need to start fresh...just uninstall the pre-loaded apps (incl vaio zone if u wish)
3. search for the InstantOn linux bootup...u need the hidden InstantOn partition + the 2 hidden files (initrd.pam and kernel.pam) both on your root c:\ drive....i think that's all u need. not sure if pressing the AV mode button is bios driven...

again, i would highly suggest de-installing apps vs. wiping the whole hard drive. i had one of those palmtop pc's vgn-u70p (bot it in TKY) and deleted the partition...what a mistake...i had to reinstall the English OS w/ drivers many, many painful times.

even w/ the tx1xp (so i'm cursed w/ a salary to be considered a real gadget freak) i had to reinstall my OS--again--many. many times since the Wireless Switch Utility confilcted w/ Webroot SpySweeper app. W/o the hidden recovery partition, it would have been much more of a pain!

hope my suggestionshelp!

Wanderer17
Visitor

Thanks.

I think, you're right, this is the easyer way.

Because I also want to create an extra partition for data, i hope, that the Linux-DVD-Player-starting-procedure will work correct, when I divide C: in 2 partitions (C: & D:) with Partition Magic.

Clasimodo
Visitor

In case I would buy a TX1XP...

... I would like to clear space on the HDD = I would like to make a clean XP-installation. The plan is:
    • setting up a clean system with an XP-installation-DVD
    • extracting/installing the drivers and needed SW from the recovery-DVD.

But what will happen with the non-Windows-(Linux?)-DVD-player? Where is to pay attention that I would not damage the DVD-player?

Does anybody know how this player is started and if a "normal" XP-installation would destroy the starting commands???

Thx.
  • burning the recovery-DVDs

I've done exactly as you plan to. It was no problem at all. Backup the InstantON map (c-root) and kernel.pam and initrd.pam. Place thes files and map back on your c-root and all will work fine.

If you've got problems you can mail me at clasimodo@(nospam)hotmail.com.

royhuang
Visitor

no probs CharlyS.

partition magic is the best...fyi--my tx1 came w/ a d:/ drive partition, which is left blank.

the recovery tool has the option of just restoring your c:\ drive back to factory default (does include all apps) w/o tampering w/ your d:\ drive.

good luck!

royhuang
Visitor

hey clasimodo,

do u think someone can/will hack the instant on feature to make it better (e.g. allow the app to suck the mp3's on the hard drive)?

or better yet, boot up a different startup app that can do it?

thx.

Wanderer17
Visitor

Hi,

thanks for your input and suggestions - I hope, I will get a TX1XP in January.

Wanderer17
Visitor

... I hope, I will get a TX1XP in January.

Anywhere the TX1XP is sold out and Sony does not deliver at this time. Is there a secret update coming....? Does anybody know details?