Join now - be part of our community!

Trouble upgrading graphics card

Kreni
Visitor

Trouble upgrading graphics card

Hello,

I just tried to install a nVidia FX5600 (256MB) graphics card instead of the old (and originally installed) Ti4600 in my RZ-221.

As it has a 298 Watt there shouldn't be any trouble from that side as far as I read. But after uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting, taking the old card out, putting the new one in, rebooting again and installing the new drivers, the problems start.

As soon as I either try to change the graphics settings or to reboot the computer, my monitor tells me that it doesn't receive a signal.

So, the card works as long as I am in the first mode after physically installing the card, but as soon as I try to actually use it, I loose any picture.

Anybody able to please help with that?

16 REPLIES 16
William
Visitor

You need a bit more power than that for one of those cards

Wrong.

The solution was quite simple. The card itself was malfunctioning. I got it exchanged and now the system runs fine.

Good of you to post back with the solution.

We will add it to the "list" of approved cards.

A happy ending - I like them.

Kreni
Visitor

You need a bit more power than that for one of those cards

Wrong.

The solution was quite simple. The card itself was malfunctioning. I got it exchanged and now the system runs fine.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah thanks for letting us know

dguiny
Visitor

i have the same question. my VAIO pcv-rs202 got an old FX 5200. i'll be interested to install an nvidia 6600 gt, but i'm more than afraid about the power supply 300w. does anyone already tried to install a new video card on such a system ??

if i've got to buy another computer to upgrade my vaio, then that's the first but also the last time a buy a "brand" pc. even the motherboard is "special" for sony.

tonez2006
Visitor

first off, if youre planning on forking out £100 odd for a new card, unless you can grab hold of the 6600 new geforce then go for it - but i must warn you, you'll need a monster PC to get the most out of it - especialy if youre going to be utilising it for gaming purposes which im assuming is the case.

I spent £159 on my nvidia 5600 when it came out, i had no idea bout the product although what enticed me to buy it was the fact it had 256MB of DDR video ram...clearly the big memory spec on the box did it for me. Also i purchased it for gaming needs, and at the time my Ti 4200 GeForce4 64mb was impresive - i just got greedy and figured 'now i wonder how much more eye candy i can get with a better card..' and rushed off to pc world and brought the most expensive card I could find on the shelves, in this case it was the 5600.

I better be upfront and honest here, I didnt really see SO MUCH of a difference in the visual effects side of things, perhaps a lot of the cards power hasnt even been tested by the games ive played. strangely enough, all my games are 2004+ old and run smoothly when i tested them on the Ti4200 64mb card. which was suprised me quite a bit.

There was one game that struggled to run on the Ti4200, DOOM 3 namedly. and it REALLY does want a lot of raw power so unless your father owns an oil rig and is biologicaly related to Mr Bill Gates - dont bother wasting money on PC peripherals heh.

I must confess, theres more to just processor speed, physical memory and FX acceleration when it comes to noticing improved gaming performances. Im sure things like bus bandwiths are a major contributor towards much of it, hence why i suspect the most dearest of motherboards out on the market may outdo anything we can readily purchase from a comptuer vendor (unless you buy a gaming orientated monster like the ones alienware and even dell assemble). I still think the new generation consoles outstrip what the current PC market has to offer because theyre technicaly just computers designed solely to deal with the execution of complex gaming code and nothing more. Thats why their architecture suits games.

I really have gone off course here, what were we talking about again ? oh yea...it was your 6600 and the PSU thingy bob.

Well my friend has a 6600 and i believe his PSU is 400watts or 450, i know 300 is not enough because thats the psu i got in my dell 2.2gh pc. Either way, do a little more research and if you are going to spend over 100 quid for a new card to play games, dont bother. - just save up and buy an xbox360. :slight_smile:

best wishes
Tonez

tonez2006
Visitor

first off, if youre planning on forking out £100 odd for a new card, unless you can grab hold of the 6600 new geforce then go for it - but i must warn you, you'll need a monster PC to get the most out of it - especialy if youre going to be utilising it for gaming purposes which im assuming is the case.

I spent £159 on my nvidia 5600 when it came out, i had no idea bout the product although what enticed me to buy it was the fact it had 256MB of DDR video ram...clearly the big memory spec on the box did it for me. Also i purchased it for gaming needs, and at the time my Ti 4200 GeForce4 64mb was impresive - i just got greedy and figured 'now i wonder how much more eye candy i can get with a better card..' and rushed off to pc world and brought the most expensive card I could find on the shelves, in this case it was the 5600.

I better be upfront and honest here, I didnt really see SO MUCH of a difference in the visual effects side of things, perhaps a lot of the cards power hasnt even been tested by the games ive played. strangely enough, all my games are 2004+ old and run smoothly when i tested them on the Ti4200 64mb card. which was suprised me quite a bit.

There was one game that struggled to run on the Ti4200, DOOM 3 namedly. and it REALLY does want a lot of raw power so unless your father owns an oil rig and is biologicaly related to Mr Bill Gates - dont bother wasting money on PC peripherals heh.

I must confess, theres more to just processor speed, physical memory and FX acceleration when it comes to noticing improved gaming performances. Im sure things like bus bandwiths are a major contributor towards much of it, hence why i suspect the most dearest of motherboards out on the market may outdo anything we can readily purchase from a comptuer vendor (unless you buy a gaming orientated monster like the ones alienware and even dell assemble). I still think the new generation consoles outstrip what the current PC market has to offer because theyre technicaly just computers designed solely to deal with the execution of complex gaming code and nothing more. Thats why their architecture suits games.

I really have gone off course here, what were we talking about again ? oh yea...it was your 6600 and the PSU thingy bob.

Well my friend has a 6600 and i believe his PSU is 400watts or 450, i know 300 is not enough because thats the psu i got in my dell 2.2gh pc. Either way, do a little more research and if you are going to spend over 100 quid for a new card to play games, dont bother. - just save up and buy an xbox360. :slight_smile:

best wishes
Tonez

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree with you Tony, some of these cards are REALLY expensive