Join now - be part of our community!

Trouble upgrading graphics card

Kreni
Visitor

Trouble upgrading graphics card

Hello,

I just tried to install a nVidia FX5600 (256MB) graphics card instead of the old (and originally installed) Ti4600 in my RZ-221.

As it has a 298 Watt there shouldn't be any trouble from that side as far as I read. But after uninstalling the old drivers, rebooting, taking the old card out, putting the new one in, rebooting again and installing the new drivers, the problems start.

As soon as I either try to change the graphics settings or to reboot the computer, my monitor tells me that it doesn't receive a signal.

So, the card works as long as I am in the first mode after physically installing the card, but as soon as I try to actually use it, I loose any picture.

Anybody able to please help with that?

16 REPLIES 16
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You need a bit more power than that for one of those cards

Kreni
Visitor

So that means that I can forget the new card? I seem to remember that I read somewhere here or at viao-village that you can't upgrade the power supply?

And is there really that big a difference between 298 Watts and 300? Because that's what should be enough for the card...

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

sounds like you need the A Team!

kee-lo_

Yeah the PSU is not upgradable, which is a shame
I think you'll need 400W for that card

William
Visitor

The only solution I have thought of for upgrading the power supply and retaining the existing case, requires one fan (from old power supply?), suitable wire, soldering iron and heatshrink insulation.

Install a fan (airflow same as old power supply) where the old power supply went - connect to a suitable power source.

Extend all the cabling on the new power supply to a suitable length and shrinkwrap any soldered areas and have the power supply externally mounted.

Too much trouble for me but if you really want to retain the original case and install a snazzy video card?

Kreni
Visitor

Yeah the PSU is not upgradable, which is a shame
I think you'll need 400W for that card

Well, according to the specs I need 300W and have 295,4 (checked the power supply in the case.) which in my untechnical opinion is the same.

I even tried starting the PC with disconnected DVD-drives, floppy and TV-card so I have the absolute minimum config and the least draw on power. Didn't make any difference, which looks really odd.

The computer (and the graphics card) works as long as I am in VGA mode or 800*600 safe mode. But as soon as I change anything, the card seems to quit working and if I don't turn it off, it will crash my PC after a minute or two.

I can't really imagine that the card works fine in safe mode, but doesn't in others due to not enough power?

kee-lo_

Every watt is important, and thats why it's not working

William
Visitor

Ok, clutching at straws now, so don't feel insulted:smileygrin:

Does the card require an additional power source to be plugged in from the power supply?

If "Yes" have you connected it?

Kreni
Visitor

If "Yes" have you connected it?

Unfortunately nothing as simple as that. I triple-checked, but the only power-plug on the card runs from the fan to the board of the card. Not other plug on the card.

But I would still assume that disconneting everything but HD and graphics card should make up for the 4.6 missing Watts. At least to get the card once running. Still doesn't make a difference in the long run. But I'm still reluctant to buy a new case with a bigger power-supply and then finding, that that wasn't the reason 😞

I'll have to find some other computer to try it to exclude that the card in itself is faulty.