Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
baileyphil
Visitor

Sony Vaio laptop

Hi All

Wonder if anyone could help, purchased a Sony VAIO SVE1712Z1EB laptop, which was pre installed with Windows 8, i have formatted this and put Windows 7 on it, but im having problems finding the Network Controller driver, which i assume is the WiFi driver, i have tried all the Windows 8 drivers on the Sony website, along with a number of others from various different websites.

Could anyone give me any info on a driver for my WiFi on this machine please?

Thanks

Phil

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Phil and welcome.

As you have found out, Sony do not support a downgrade to Windows 7 for your model and so there are no Windows 7 drivers available and many Windows 8 drivers will not work.

All you can do is to go to the downloads Support Pages for the SVE1711Z1EB, which was sold with Windows 7 preinstalled, and try the Windows 7 drivers from there.  I have not checked the specifications but I suspect the hardware is almost identical.

Click on the "Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities" Tab -> Windows 7 and download and install the Ethernet Driver (Network Driver) and the Wireless Network Adapter Driver.  Check it is the 64-bit version.  You can download them here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1711Z1EB/updates

No guarantees but this is probably your best bet.

By the way, I presume you couldn't find a SVE1711Z1EB which may have been heavily discounted rather than paying for the Windows 8 version??

:thinking:

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Phil and welcome.

As you have found out, Sony do not support a downgrade to Windows 7 for your model and so there are no Windows 7 drivers available and many Windows 8 drivers will not work.

All you can do is to go to the downloads Support Pages for the SVE1711Z1EB, which was sold with Windows 7 preinstalled, and try the Windows 7 drivers from there.  I have not checked the specifications but I suspect the hardware is almost identical.

Click on the "Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities" Tab -> Windows 7 and download and install the Ethernet Driver (Network Driver) and the Wireless Network Adapter Driver.  Check it is the 64-bit version.  You can download them here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVE1711Z1EB/updates

No guarantees but this is probably your best bet.

By the way, I presume you couldn't find a SVE1711Z1EB which may have been heavily discounted rather than paying for the Windows 8 version??

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
@9988624605002494
Visitor

I am looking to downgrade, too. With Windows 8 this machine is nothing more than a pretty paperweight. It is the worst computer I have ever owned, and iti s because of the operating system.

Rather than make snide remarks about finding a PC that does have Windows 7, couldnt Sony be more helpful? I had no choice about the operating system. This PC replaced a Win 7 Vaio which arrived faulty but John Lewis didnt have any more.

Now I have a useless lump of metal.

Help us. Help us get Windows 7 on our machines. Help us return to our work instead of having to take tutorials every day to no avail because this operating system just cannot do what we need it to do.

Please stop supplying business machines with Windows 8.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

@9988624605002494 wrote:

Rather than make snide remarks about finding a PC that does have Windows 7, couldnt Sony be more helpful?

You are obviously not aware that this is a user forum and the reply posted above by Blencogo (a fellow user) was far from a snide remark simply the best that we can offer.

If this isn’t good enough for your purposes then don’t take your frustration out on those trying to help instead contact Sony support direct and express your grievances.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat