Join now - be part of our community!

Screen dead and big issues with my Vaio VGN-NR38Z

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
annorma13
Visitor

Screen dead and big issues with my Vaio VGN-NR38Z

Hi all,

I am a real computer novice and would really love some help!

On turning on my Vaio VGN-NR38Z I am finding that the screen is dead, no image, part image or broken attempt at any life on screen at all, the computer is also gets quite hot in no time at all.....

I may be imagining it but I can't hear the fan kick in as I 'think' it should either.....I may be imagining this part......

Any suggestions guys?

Thanks for your time!

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

Leaving aside the heat issue for the time being, is there any indication that the notebook is booting despite lack of display – hard disk activity(flashing hard disk LED)/Windows startup sound?

If possible can you try attaching an external monitor? This, dependant on result, should give an indication of whether there is an LCD screen problem or a video chip/memory/motherboard problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

Leaving aside the heat issue for the time being, is there any indication that the notebook is booting despite lack of display – hard disk activity(flashing hard disk LED)/Windows startup sound?

If possible can you try attaching an external monitor? This, dependant on result, should give an indication of whether there is an LCD screen problem or a video chip/memory/motherboard problem.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
annorma13
Visitor

Hi Rich,

This was an excellent call, I connected my PC monitor to the laptop and for some reason it activated the laptop screen......I originally thought that I had deactivated the laptop screen somehow but I checked this....hmmm...

I now need to return it to factory settings, in an ideal world it will be completely stripped back to how it was the day it came out of the box. Loads of people have suggested that I restore to back up but I never created a back up point....is there a way which you are aware of to restore to factory setting and completely wipe everything!

I thinkI was imagining things with the fan, it is getting warm but the fan seems to be functioning ok!

Massive thanks for your help!

Andy

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

Pleased to hear that you now have a display:smileyhappy:

Assuming that the hard disk recovery partition is intact you can access the Recovery Utility by tapping F10 at boot. Or you should still have the option to create a set of recovery disks by using Vaio Recovery Center.

Rich

The recovery partition and created recovery media (no matter when created) will be the same as the day you bought the notebook.

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
annorma13
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Yep, what ever happened it was a surprise for sure!

I have tried tapping F10 whilst the computer was rebooting, this doesnt seem to respond, it takes a while to reboot/load up from turn on.

Now that I have got access to the computer I have removed 'everything' which I need so I would just like to completely wipe it back to the operating system etc.....I have used the PC for internet banking etc but intend to use the laptop at work in the future, would this process clear any internet history, obviously I would like my bank details to remain out of the public domain! :slight_smile:

Are there any other suggestions on how I could completely wipe the system?

Thanks again for your help and sorry for all the questions!

Cheers!

Andy

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Andy,

You can check whether the Recovery partition is still there by opening Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management. If it is still present you will see an EISA configured partition (without drive letter) at the start of Disk 0 – size is usually between 8 and 12GB.

If it is there then try creating the recovery disks using Vaio Recovery Center. If successful using these disks will return your machine to ‘as delivered’ – no personal data will remain.

If for some reason the recovery partition has been removed then you can either purchase a set of recovery disks from Sony Support (cost is approx. £60) or buy a retail copy of Windows. The latter option will require you to download and install Sony specific drivers and utilities from the Support site once the new OS is installed – most of the original Sony software that came pre-installed on your machine is not available for download.

Hope this helps,
Rich

A clean install of a new OS will wipe all personal data.

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat