Join now - be part of our community!

SATA

lapenass
Visitor

SATA

Hi. I own the vaio vgn-fe41m. After purchase last month I did a clean installation of Vista. Everything seems to work well after installing updated drivers and hotfixes. So, my question now is does someone know how to install Silicon Image SATA Controller? I tried to and did install a preinstalled SATA driver on Windows setup, but it said the driver is not compatible or something similar. I can see a Silicon Image SATA controller icon in Control Panel, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all. And the Device Manager shows my Hard Drive not as SATA, but PL ATA. Any ideas? Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you did a format of C:\ and clean install of Vista then some generic SATA driver must be installed or you would not have been able to find your disc at the install stage and would not have been able to install Vista.

To install the Silicon Image® SiI 3132 SATALink Controller Driver you would normally just run the .EXE file.

However, as your Vaio seems to be working OK, think carefully - I'm sure you have heard the saying "If it 'Aint broke don't fix it"

:thinking:

EDIT: I think a version of the driver is included in the Vista Driver Cache - so this will have been installed by Vista.

:wink:

lapenass
Visitor

Cheers for reply :slight_smile: The driver I have does not have an .exe file,so it must be installed manually, and most likely, on Vista's setup (now Vista says the driver does not support this method of installation as I try to install the .inf file :slight_frown: ...) Tried that driver from your link but this one says it is not for this model :slight_frown: Well, think I'll take your advice and leave it as it is :slight_smile: For some time :laughing: