Join now - be part of our community!

S15 Warranty impact of replacing supplied Win8 with Win 7

profile.country.en_GB.title
@3090772702021131
Visitor

S15 Warranty impact of replacing supplied Win8 with Win 7

I have purchased a Vaio SVS15112C5E which was supplied with Windows 8 by Sony

Two questions:

1. Does Sony enforce any Hardware warranty impact if I replace Win 8 Pro with Windows 7 Pro ?

2. Will the drivers be available for Windows 7 for this model, or can one assume that the Win8 drivers will be backward compatible?

Anyone know?

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

As far as I am aware there is no hardware warranty implication with downgrading to Windows 7 but if you did need to make a claim Sony would require that you returned the machine to ‘as delivered’ as only the original OS is supported.

Sony is not supporting downgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 7 on any model and unless corporate purchasers kick up a fuss then this is unlikely to change. Most Windows 8 drivers are not backwardly compatible but if you can find Windows 7 drivers for a model of the same series with identical specifications then this may work.

There are SVS1511 models released in summer of 2012 with Win 7 preinstalled – check the support site for specifications and drivers.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.de_DE.title
w1f9al

Having the same problem / question...

I already tried to download some drivers from SVS1511C5E which seem to work with the SVS15112C5E.

But irritating is that an original windows 7 dvd is not detected by the bios and I'm unable to boot from it. Only by changing the bios from UEFI to "normal" and disabling the secure boot I was able to boot from dvd. But on the dvd (windows 7 64bit) is a UEFI folder and microsoft itself says its better to use UEFI than normal bios when using windows 7 64bit and / or SDD...

Very interested if Sony is willing to make windows 7 drivers available...