Join now - be part of our community!

problem with hd on vgn-ar51j

grigorish
Visitor

problem with hd on vgn-ar51j

Hello, i've got this problem on my new vaio vgn-ar51j. when the machine logs into windows my hd keeps working and working for about 5 minutes making my computer really slow at that time. i guessed the problem was norton 360. i uninstalled it, but the problem is still there. anyone now what is going on?
Thank you

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi grigorish and welcome to Club Vaio.

Vista has a new indexing service which improves the desktop search engine which finds things on your hard drive. A good desktop search only indexes the drive when it is idle but I have noticed that Vista often tries to index the drive when it is busy, slowing everything down.

When this happens have a look in Task Manager for the processes - SearchProtocolHost, SearchFilterHost, SearchIndexer.

The fastest way to stop this is to simply disable the Windows Search service. Run Services (just type “Services” at the Start Search bar), right click on the Windows Search service and select “Properties”. Then choose “Disabled” for the start type. Afterwards, you have to stop this service by right clicking on it and selecting “Stop”.

:wink:

grigorish
Visitor

Hello Blencogo
thanks for your reply. I tried what you said but it didn't work. The hd keeps working and working for no reason. What could it be?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi grigorish,

Try looking in Task Manager. Which processes are running and consuming lots of CPU power?

:thinking:

grigorish
Visitor

Hello blencogo.
Everything looks fine in task manager, there is none process consuming cpu power. The only thing that works is the hard disk for about 5 minutes consuming much memory at that time though.
Regards