Join now - be part of our community!

PCG-K415S RAM update

Tyaculo
Visitor

PCG-K415S RAM update

Hey everybody,
I was wondering if some of you could help me out here.
The trouble I had lately with my slow and inconsistent performance has been fixed by a complete, factory settings and all, recovery.
Now I'm updating the RAM.

I bought 1 512MB card because that was the last one, I'm getting the other one Monday.
So I did as Vaio told me; removed the battery, and replaced one of the 256 RAM cards with my new 512 one.
Then I rebooted and checked the BIOS, but it still says 512MB in total.

The 512MB card is from 'Corsair', type: VS512SDS333
On the card it says: 512MB Memory Module, 200-PIN DDR, SO-DIMM

Could it be that the Corsair won't work together with the original vaio one? Or do I need to do something else before it works.
Thanks in advance,
Tyaculo

25 REPLIES 25
JohnJL
Visitor

Hello to everybody. I have VAIO PCG-K415S and I did successfull made RAM upgrade to 1 Gb. So for everybody who are interesting and have this Sony Vaio Model I will give you instructions here how to upgrade RAM.

1. First for this Sony Vaio model, you must buy next type of the RAM.

SODIMM DDR 333 Mhz 512 MB PC 2700
Maximum is 1024 Mb, we have two plaices for memory cards so maximum you are able to install is 2x512 Mb (You cannot use one card from 1024 Mb!)

Mine is PNY technologies and you are able to found that memory cards on this address
http://www.pny.eu/products.php?section=product&categoryid=13&subcategoryid=45&productid=40.

I payed 2 x 512 Mb memory cards, 70 EUR.

Next step will be to check your BIOS version and did you have last BIOS version installed on your VAIO.

Found VAIO Control Center (on your Vaio) --- INFORMATION SYSTEM ---- BIOS VERSION --- R0108X3.

If you have this version of the BIOS, than go to next step, if you don't have, than update your BIOS from VAIO update.

Third step will be to move old memory card, and install new one.

Disconnect your VAIO power (remove battery also), turn to another side, and replace memory cards. Be carefoul with this. Use aluminium foil when you replace memory cards! Do not touch memory cards with your hands without alu foils!

Close box for memory cards, start your VAIO.

Found VAIO Control Center (on your Vaio) --- INFORMATION SYSTEM ---- SYSTEM MEMORY ---- 1Gb

Is it finish? No, I don't think so. Read next post.

JohnJL
Visitor

How you are able to read from your VAIO manual, during reinstallation procedure, you MUST REMOVE ALL NEW MEMORY CARDS.

I suppose that this is like that becouase actually we made reinstallation kit with old memory cards, so I suggest to all of you when you update BIOS (if you need) and before you replace old memory cards with new, that you made reinstallation of the all system from your CD or DVD. After that replace your old memory cards with new memory cards, and made new reinstallation kit just after that. So I suppose than you will not need to replace new memory cards with old one, every time when you made reinstallation of the system.

Of course this is just suggestions for all, you are responsible for any demage, not me. If you are not sure, call Sony and ask for advice.

One more advice from me, and maybe the best. If you have this model of the laptop, the best solution is not to upgrade your memory, becouase you will not get a lot. Problem is bigger and it is inside your PCU, or Intel Pentium 4 processor, SONY software, Sony update and latest aviable BIOS version for this laptop. All of this is disaster. IP 4 is one of the worst ever CPU, Sony software usually don't work like must work, Sony Update is disaster, and latest aviable BIOS version is too old.

Yes, if you have this model, than best solution for you is to buy new laptop, becouase not just that this CPU is cheap CPU inside very expensive laptop, but also it is one of the worst CPU ever. It strong, but cooling of this CPU is disaster, he made so big noise that working with this kind of the laptop is nightmare.
So my advice to all who have this version (PCG-K415S) drop this laptop in garbage and buy laptop for 500 EUR, you will have laptop much better than this one.
Of course I will not tell you to buy or not new laptop from Sony. That is your decision.

Tyaculo
Visitor

Hey JohnJL!

Thanks a lot for your comment/tutorial!
This should save people a lot of trouble when they try to update their K415s's memory.
(I also had a lot of trouble finding out what kind of RAM I should get)

Ciao,
Tyaculo

Illuminatus
Visitor

Hi JohnJL ~ I did the upgrade and like you found it's hardly worth the expense, time and effort.

... and the noise is a "killer"

Your advice "... if you have this model, than best solution for you is to buy new laptop ..." is the best advice 😎

I now have a Toshiba and will not be looking at Sony Laptops.

All the best,

David.

JohnJL
Visitor

I agree with you. I made error when I was buy my laptop. I saw one Toshiba for almost the same amount of the money, but after all I was buying Sony? My mistake and next time I will not repate that mistake.

Also I forget to tell you guys, if you have this model, than your BIOS (system) is old more than 2 years, so it need desperate new update and if you look on the SONY update of course you will not found that.

BIOS for video ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 video card (Sony), is old even more, it is old 4 years, so if you guys go on ATI web site, they don't have listed that model at all, so you are not able to update drivers or BIOS for video even it is old more than 4 years?

I really don't know what guys from SONY thinks, but most likely this is not a way to satisfy customers, no, no at all.

Really did they think after all this that I will buy new SONY laptop and pay to them maybe two or more times more than I will pay for one simple laptop which will have the better support and perfomance, plus they will delivered me a ton of the trial software what I aml able to download from net also for free, and that they will give me laptop with more than two years old BIOS already when I buy Sony laptop?

I don't think so.

profile.country.en_GB.title
jobutle66
Visitor

Have the same problem with a PCG K115z, I bought 2 *512mb modules its only showing up as 2 * 256mb modules