Join now - be part of our community!

odd folders on D drive after Windows update

Indy89
Visitor

odd folders on D drive after Windows update

After a Windows update I have some odd folders each containing a notpad document. Any one know what these are? If its safe to delete them?

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Indy89,

Any notepad file is unlikely to have any effect on the system or originating program so will be safe to delete. That said, as it only occupies a few kb, why worry?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Just to clarify, if you get some folders named:

C:\938388908098a363ef3833dd2228e78772288

(Well you get the idea, its normally a random load of numbers and letters anyway)

And there's a folder inside labelled Update and one text file (which is in actual fact a Microsoft Log file) then its safe to delete those.

They are left behind when the Windows Update programs forget to clean up correctly.

As a rule these programs install using the drive with the most free space. So my system drive has only 5GB free, my other drive has 7GB free so these folders end up on my drive D partition instead of the systems drive C partition.

Go ahread and delete them, no harm to your system will result (trust me I know!).

HOWEVER, the folders inside C:\Windows that begin with NT (usually hidden, compressed) are best not deleted as these contain the original files should you wish to uninstall a patch, you can delete all of them anyway but then it means if you wish to remove said windows update afterwards, you will not be able to roll back the original files.

I hope that clears up the confusion!

Indy89
Visitor

Its not the memory that bothering me its just annoying having all those folders (5) with just notepad files in and some are repeated. Might just put em all in one folder. just thought id make sure before i did anything as didnt want to mess it up.

Indy89
Visitor

Just to clarify, if you get some folders named:

C:\938388908098a363ef3833dd2228e78772288

(Well you get the idea, its normally a random load of numbers and letters anyway)

And there's a folder inside labelled Update and one text file (which is in actual fact a Microsoft Log file) then its safe to delete those.

They are left behind when the Windows Update programs forget to clean up correctly.

As a rule these programs install using the drive with the most free space. So my system drive has only 5GB free, my other drive has 7GB free so these folders end up on my drive D partition instead of the systems drive C partition.

Go ahread and delete them, no harm to your system will result (trust me I know!).

HOWEVER, the folders inside C:\Windows that begin with NT (usually hidden, compressed) are best not deleted as these contain the original files should you wish to uninstall a patch, you can delete all of them anyway but then it means if you wish to remove said windows update afterwards, you will not be able to roll back the original files.

I hope that clears up the confusion!

Thanks thats great help. Had them on my last computer but didnt want to delete them. Now I know what they are very helpful thanks.