Join now - be part of our community!

New Vaio FE21B and windows Vista

collieman
Visitor

New Vaio FE21B and windows Vista

Dear all
I am a newbie to this forum but have been reading posts for a couple of months,a word of warning to all of you wishing to upgrade to vista,i bought my laptop some 6 months ago so i am not in the free upgrade sony window,it was a vaio VGN FE21B running windows media edition the optical drive on this is a sony (oem)RW DW G520A with Firmware GFS2 this drive was naff from the start,burning disc making funny noises and taking ages to start a burn and then refusing to accept discs ie ritec data write and finally only accepting phillips discs,so i bought vista premium and upgraded every thing works a treat after downloading all sony drivers except this infernal DVD DRIVE which now refuses to do anything except make loud grinding noises so this is clearly a drive issue not software,so i rang sony to arrange a replacment,as i am still in warranty everything was going ok until i mentioned i had upgraded to vista and as i didnt buy it from them, all warranties are(null and void) Ps SONY RECOMENDS WINDOWS VISTA (as long as you buy it from us!)so anyone out their with any suggestions would be much appreciated,i could i suppose take off vista and restore media edition and as i have allready activated vista what sort of grief will i get from microsoft when i try to install it again.and will my warranty be reinstalled?with sony.i cease to be amazed at these companys who make millions of pounds from us poor punters and then grumble at the slightest warranty claim!

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi

Welcome to Club vaio.

If you purchase something like Acronis True Image 10 Home you can create an exact copy of your hard disk, this should allow you to restore the Vista operating system, applications, and all the data. etc. once your Vaio is repaired.. :wink:

Then restore your Vaio, back to the factory settings, using the Recovery disc (if you did not create a set of recovery disc's)pressing F10 repeatedly when starting you vaio, this normally would start the recovery process and contact Vaio-Link for a repair..