Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Override Upgrade? - VGN-FS295VP

profile.country.sv_SE.title
xrtdnpt
Visitor

Memory Override Upgrade? - VGN-FS295VP

I know, very old laptop, and I should buy a new one, instead of thinking this way.
But since I bought my laptop, I wanted to have 2Gb memory instead of original 512Mb.
I got 1Gb today, and Im still not happy with it.

Recently I found out that other laptops with same motherboard can use up to 2Gbs memory,
why cant my Vaio do so? What am I missing here?
Ive been thinking all night long now, and still dont get it .. Why other computer brands with their motherboards. which are exactly the same can take more memory?

Anyone here ever tried to replace, upgrade the memory to more than they say it can take?
Im curious, because that would save me a few bucks, instead of buying a brand new laptop, I can buy more memory and use it a bit longer ..

Been searching the whole evening, but couldnt find any answers to my question?
Can I override this thing and put two 1Gb memorysticks instead of two 512 memorysticks ..?

//emulantie

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

xrtdnpt
Visitor

Thanks for answer, but my question is still not answered.
Are there anyone who tried to install two 1Gb memorysticks in their laptops, even that Sony says that you cant have more than 1Gb memory..?

Why is it so? Can I do something about it?

I appreciate all answers I get ! .

/Emulantie

profile.country.pt_PT.title
V57...
Contributor

Hi Emulantie

You are right...try a scan from crucial to find a memory upgrade compatible with your computer from here...
http://www.crucial.com/uk/index.aspx

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sony and other independent suppliers of memory ALL state that your model cannot utilise more than 512MB per memory slot (=1GB Total). This would appear to be a motherboard restriction so there is nothing you can do to get it to use more memory.

I think you have to accept that your Vaio is too old to be able to utilise 2GB of memory.

I think it unlikely that other makes of laptop have exactly the same main board. Yours will be heavily customised by Sony.

:slight_frown:

xrtdnpt
Visitor

Damnit .. I thought it would work with only memory upgrade.
Well, then I got to survive a bit longer with my poor 1Gb memory 😞

Its a shame that they couldnt leave the motherboard alone, so I could at least upgrade 1Gb more .. Well, now at least I dont have to search further for more information about this.
Started to think on other things, like how it would work to change the entire motherboard, and try to make it fit into my Vaio ? ..

I just dont want to buy another laptop .. I like this one :slight_smile:
Ah, now Ive to search even more about things and information ..

Thanks for answer!

LankyMax
Visitor

You can install 1Gb 667 sodimm ram module in A slot and 2GB 667 sodimm ram module in B slot.
My sony FE21HR support 3072 Mb of RAM. You can experimented with two 2GB 667 sodimm ram module and "/3GB" option in boot.ini file. May be your mobo can access all 4GB memory.

Best regards.