Join now - be part of our community!

fanspeed vgn-bx297XP

puch
Visitor

fanspeed vgn-bx297XP

I have a brandnew VGN-bx297XP Vaio. 5 minutes after starting the VAIO the fan starts running full speed (the cpu temp stays below 30). The fanspeednoise makes me crazy. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it? The bios doesn't say anything about the fan. And I can't search in this forum because the search function is not working.

9 REPLIES 9
evald80
Visitor

i have the same problem with my vaio vgn-fs215s. After 10 minutes i can hear the noise of the fan because it goes to the maximum speed... :slight_frown:
maybe cleaning the laptop could fix this problem but i'm not sure.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi puch and welcome to the forum.

Check whether you CPU control is set to ‘performance’ or ‘adaptive’. Adaptive will reduce the CPU speed unless you are running application/s that requires full power. This should reduce fan activity during normal usage. You could also experiment with the Thermal Control Strategy setting (assuming that you have this option)

From Vaio-Link KB:

To edit a power profile with PowerPanel:
Right-click the PowerPanel icon in your taskbar and click Edit/Create Profiles...
In the left pane, select the power profile you want to edit and in the right pane set the different options as you wish.
Click File and click Save.

To create a new power profile:
Click File and then click New.
New Power Management Profile appears in the left pane and is highlighted - Here, you can edit the name of the new profile.
Adjust the power profile settings in the right pane according to your needs.
Click File and then click Save.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
puch
Visitor

:smileygrin: thanks Evald and Rich for your reactions!
It's a brandnew Vaio so it can't be dust. And I have no (or can't find??) Thermal Control Strategy. The CPU control is set to ‘adaptive’ but the fan is stil running on full speed! So I am still looking for a solution if anyone has an idea please let me now.

evald80
Visitor

another cause of this issue is the place where you lay down the notebook.
it is strange, but i have noticed that the time the fan goes at maximum speed it's not the same.
It depends on what processes are running, but testing the vaio with only win xp running and moving it from one place to another the time that the fun enter in maximum speed change.
Probably(99% :grin: ) some places have a better disposal of the heat than others...
For example, if you place the notebook on the bed you will notice that rapidly becomes to hot (particulary on the right, where are the cpu and the hard disk ) and so the fan speed increase...

regards

puch
Visitor

I followed your advice and placed my Vaio on differend spots but without any succes. The fan keeps on running (not faster and not slower) on adaptive CPU speed (800 MHz) OR performance (2 GHz) it doesn't matter it keeps running steady without any change. I can't measure the exact speed because "Speedfan" is not working on my Vaio. I begin to wonder what"s normal?? Even if I don't startup XP and keep it in the biosscreen without any action the fan keeps running is that normal? Is there anybody on the forum who can tell me what's normal? Or better.. is there a BX297XP owner who knows it exactly? It's maybe clever to start a new thread with only one question "what's normal in a Vaio Life?".

Regards

evald80
Visitor

I followed your advice and placed my Vaio on differend spots but without any succes. The fan keeps on running (not faster and not slower) on adaptive CPU speed (800 MHz) OR performance (2 GHz) it doesn't matter it keeps running steady without any change. I can't measure the exact speed because "Speedfan" is not working on my Vaio. I begin to wonder what"s normal?? Even if I don't startup XP and keep it in the biosscreen without any action the fan keeps running is that normal? Is there anybody on the forum who can tell me what's normal? Or better.. is there a BX297XP owner who knows it exactly? It's maybe clever to start a new thread with only one question "what's normal in a Vaio Life?".

Regards

the fan run always !
it is not normal if it runs at maximum speed on biosscreen..

sjoerdsantema
Visitor

I have the same problem. It's extremely annoying. If there's a way to turn the damn fan off, please let me know. It's about to take off....

sunking101
Visitor

You can turn your cooling from 'performance' to 'quiet' - this controls the fan. Right click on power options on the task bar and then go to the vaio power settings. Underneath the cpu control is the fan control - I haven't got my Vaio here with me but it says something like cooling.

sjoerdsantema
Visitor

Normally the fan turns on every now and then. It's on non-stop right now! No matter what you change in the settings.