Join now - be part of our community!

DVD+-RW (DW-U14A) COMPATABILITY

Vish
Visitor

DVD+-RW (DW-U14A) COMPATABILITY

Hi,

I recently bought a pack of Verbatim 4.7gig DVD-Rs. I was making a backup copy of my company advert(was on a dvd already) for my colleague, but it didn't seem to work when i tried to play it back on my pc or any dvd player again... Is this something to do with the my DVD writer not liking these Verbatim DVD-R ?

I had made copies of that same advert before but using SONY DVD-Rs...and it worked... does this mean that only Sony writable dvds are compatably with my dvd writer( DW-U14A)?

If other dvd-r's work, is there somewhere i can get a list of compatible DVD-Rs for my writer Dw-U14a? Or can someone tell from their experience, if they know any others that work perfectly?

Thanks
Vish

:thinking:

8 REPLIES 8
guitarkid
Visitor

thats the same drive i put in my wifes dell, we have never used verbatim but have had trouble with data write, we use a grade ritek go4 discs, £7.49 for 25 from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk they are our fave and ritek go4 dye is the best..

what software do you use, make sure you have chosen the right settings or check that you havent changed anything by mistake..

ie, in nero, make sure it is dvd video you select and make sure no multisession is checked....

Vish
Visitor

I use Nero 6 Ultra edition, I do check that it is writing video... thats all the normal procedures i use... and it works with other DVD-Rs (more expensive ones like SONY 1x-4x 4.7 Gig DVD-R which is approx £15 for a pack of 10.... and the verbatim ones are only £9 for 25... could this be a problem??

Does anyone know if the dvd writer or the software(nero) do some sort of quality check on the dvd-r before they record?

I suppose, cheap discs would normally be low quality?
Would the discs being low quality cause the dvd writer to not accept these?

If there is a quality check, is there anyway to turn off this feature? I'm not keen on buying expensive DVD-Rs which i rarely make use of.

Hope someone can help...

Thanks again
Vish

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's more to do with the surface, you need to use high grade media, these drives are fussy.

reaper
Visitor

hi vish
i have the sony dw-u12a and i by clone disks which are cheap and very high quality proberly just the same as the expensive ones

you can buy them from http://www.dvd-and-media.com/

regards ben

guitarkid
Visitor

its not cost, its the dye as keelo says, use grade a dye such as GO4, made famous by ritek and loved the world around, princo and infosmart dye is well inferior...

if you use dvd decrypter when the blank is in ready to write the info box on the right will tell you the surface dye of the disk, i doubt verbatim are GO4...

try that site i gave you, www.blankdiscshop.co.uk look under dvd media and -r's and check out the A grade discs they do....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes Ritek are the best at making DVD dye

Vish
Visitor

Thanks alot... I dont mind changing where i buy dvd-rs from if its for better quality and reliabilty....

i will give www.blankdiscshop.co.uk a try...

for your info i bought my verbatim discs from www.bigpockets.co.uk

thanks again
Vish

reaper
Visitor

read about the clone disks and you will see that they are indeed grade a a++ infact and made by ritek