Join now - be part of our community!

Can't hear my lovely VAIO - help!

profile.country.GB.title
rickhirst
New

Can't hear my lovely VAIO - help!

Hi all. Very much appreciate if anyone out there can help me. I've got a PCG-Z1XSP, and we love it. We've had it for a couple of years with no faults other than the CD/DVD drive doesn't work. It opens, spins a CD but it never recognises any CDs. So if anyone has any tips on getting this working too - much appreciated.

However, my latest glitch is that suddenly the internal speakers have stopped working. The sound card is fine - as if you plug headphones in, the sound is fine, but we can't get a bleep out of the speakers.

So far i've disabled the sound card and reenabled it, we've mucked around to check the volume settings, checked that they haven't been accidentally muted and everything else we've found as advice on club vaio and sony support. But to no avail. I was watching a video last night with the sound working fine but decided to use headphones so as not to annoy everyone, so put a normal set of headphones in the jack. since removing the headphones - no sound from the speakers. It's a mystery and as we use the speakers to talk to our family on the webcam, it's really frustrating.

The other thing i've tried is to do a system restore, but it won't seem to let me. each one it offers, upon rebooting, it doesn't accept.

if anyone can help, we'll be eternally grateful.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi London Hirsts and welcome to Club Vaio.

It sounds like a hardware fault to me.

When you insert the headphone jack, this physically disconnects the speakers by bending a bit of metal to one side. If the headphones are still working OK then it sounds like a problem with the jack plug socket not re-establishing a connection.

You could try cleaning out the socket or wiggling the jack plug in and out several times to try and re-establish a contact but the likelyhood is that it will need a look inside to check the connections and wiring. Usually the socket needs replacing and it is not a massive job.

A local, competent electrician should be able to check this for you.

Not sure where you are in London but there are several repairers like THIS ONE

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rickhirst
New

Thanks very very much. i didn't think it was something to do with the drivers. and thinking back, the headphone jack was for a new set of headphones and the fit was pretty damn snug. I'll have a go at putting another jack in.

You wouldn't be able to offer a perspective on getting the CD drive to work would you? It's a matshita UB812 i think.

Again, much appreciated.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You wouldn't be able to offer a perspective on getting the CD drive to work would you? 

Are you using the latest firmware for your drive - have a look HERE

Are there any errors shown in Device Manager?

Start -> Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware -> Device Manager
Expand DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
Are there any yellow warnings against the drive?
If there are, double click on it and give us the Error Code.

If it says the drive is working correctly - then have a look through THIS STICKY THREAD for inspiration and comfort that you are not alone!!

:slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
rickhirst
New

the jack wiggling has worked. thanks very much. now have glorious sound.
no issues under device manager. am updating the drivers now to see if this works
sounds like cd drives is the sony achillees heel?