Join now - be part of our community!

Can I make a recovery disk without recover center?

CodeComet
Visitor

Can I make a recovery disk without recover center?

Hello, everyone! Today, I had to reformat my hard drive and reinstall the windows. For some reasons, I couldn't make the recovery disks because I kept getting runtime errors when I was running recover center. I was able to copy the hidden recovery partition to another drive, but I erased the recovery partition when I was reformatting the drive. Is there any way I can make recovery disks out of the files that was in the recovery partion without using recover center at all?

2 REPLIES 2
Chanandler
Visitor

I think that you would need to use something like GDisk to recreate the hidden partition and then copy the stuff back to the correct location and then try again.

But I guess that in order to try again you would need to have the recovery center software which won't be part of your new installation. Maybe it could be downloaded from the Sony website or something.

I wonder if Vaio tech support would be able to rebuild the partition under warranty as the recovery software wasn't working anyway?

CodeComet
Visitor

I made a partition of 9000MB as Disk0Partition1, and then the rest as Disk0Partition2.
I installed Windows on Partition2 and then format partition1 by NTFS format, and then I named the drive as "recovery" and copied the files from recovery partition.
I ran VAIO recovery center launcher among the recovery partition files (It was hidden in DATA/2007/06/US....02), and voila! It became real recovery partition with EISA Configuration instead of a primary partition.
The recovery center is also running well, so I was able to make recover discs.
Thanks, goodness!