Join now - be part of our community!

Camera in VAIO SZ1 XP/C

iansomm
Visitor

Camera in VAIO SZ1 XP/C

I am still struggling to get the built-in camera to work after having (foolishly) upgraded to Vista. I have downloaded original drivers but does anyone know how I run DPInst32.exe ? Also, where do I find the VAIO Camera Capture utility?

Anyone out there got step-by-step instructions on what I need to do for this model of VAIO?

thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Ian,

Sorry, I lost your other thread somewhere!

The SZ1 has a different Micro Vision camera driver which needs to be installed from Device Manager (you cannot just run DPInst.exe)

If you download your Original Drivers Package - SZ1_DRIVERS.ZIP - right-click on the downloaded file and choose "Extract All". Choose to extract to a folder where you can find the extracted files later. Something like C:\Drivers.

You will have to force the camera to install with the Sony driver. Open Device Manager. In Device Manager, right-click on the Unknown Camera Device and choose 'Update Driver'. Choose 'No, not this time' -> 'Install from List or Specific Location' -> 'Don't Search, I will choose a driver to install' -> 'Have Disc' and browse to C:\Drivers\Camera\VGP-VCC2\Mvc25U870.inf

If successfully installed it will show as "Sony Visual Communication Camera VGP VCC2" in the Imaging Devices section of Device Manager.

:wink:

iansomm
Visitor

Many thanks - I now sense I am very close, but in Device Manager, when I right-click Unknown Device and choose 'Update Driver Software', browse my computer, I get
C:\Drivers\Camera\VGP-VCC2\English. Great, but when I click 'next' I get a message 'Windows was unable to install your unknown Device'.

I have downloaded the original drivers and extracted them, because the computer recognises the location...but appears not to recognise the camera driver.

Have you any other ideas?
many thanks
Ian S

(NB. in Device Manager it lists SZ1_Drivers, but also separately it shows Camera, then VGP-VCC2. The Microsoft Hotfix KB909667 is also there. Could there be a conflict? I have tried so many things over the past few months I may have downloaded all sorts of irrelevant stuff!)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Ian,

My only guess (and it is a guess) is that you need to manually browse to the EXACT location - to the .INF file itself - not into the \English subdirectory as this does not contain a .INF file. Don't choose 'Browse My Computer', try the 'Have Disc' procedure as in my last post.

Have you installed the VAIO Camera Utility?

:thinking:

iansomm
Visitor

Yes, I have downloaded and extracted the utilities. The Mvc25U870.inf file is there within the Drivers folder but when I right-click on it and look at properties, it states that it opens with Notepad. Is this right? What must I actually do with the inf. file

I don't understand the 'have disk' bit - do I need to insert my recovery CD in the A: drive? This is what it asks for when I click on 'have disk'(the original drivers are already in the C: driver (in drivers)

(Sorry about all of this..it's massively frustrating! If i can't sort it, even with your expert advice, I guess I'll have to take it to someone to get the camera working.)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry Ian - I am guessing a bit too as I don't have your model.

There is no need to insert a disc. Click on "Have Disc" then on "Browse" and navigate your way to C:\Drivers\Camera\VGP-VCC2\ and it should find the .INF file and install the driver.

:slight_frown:

iansomm
Visitor

Hi,
still no luck with the camera...but now when I use Skype the VAIO microphone won't work (says it is mute, which it is not) Any ideas..?

Also, a general question - I have a pair of system recovery disks from Sony. Do these include XP and Photoshop elements, which were pre-installed when I bought the computer? If I reinstall XP, will the original product key still work?