Join now - be part of our community!

Burn recorded TV to DVD XL-201

dines
Visitor

Burn recorded TV to DVD XL-201

Hi,
I spend some time to find out how to burn a DVD with recorded TV file. I installed the SONIC DRIVER and it works but it is sooooo slow. For 1 1/2 hour movie I need like seven ours. Could this be true? :smileygrin: Is there a better faster way? How are you guy's burning your recorded tv stuff... Is there another tool? Maybe included in the SONY package which I don't know yet?

2 REPLIES 2
IronChicken
Visitor

I have tried a couple of approaches so far:-

1) Used the Sony Click-to-DVD application which on the XL201 is available in inMC via the Other Programs interface. I was dissapointed at how slow this was (although it didnt take 7 hours)and the second time I tried it, it crashed a couple of times (wasting a couple of DVDs)for reasons I don't understand.

2) I also tried burning a DVD direct from "Recorded TV", but to a Data DVD. This was faster (because it should just be copying the file from the drive rather than doing the Video DVD transcode/authoring stuff) but it was still slower than I expected. On the plus side - this allowed me to archive the movie that had crashed twice when using ClicktoDVD and I was able to get 2 movies on one Single layer DVD with room to spare. ON the down side, I can only play this DVD on the XL201 but thats not an issue for me.

With both approaches I'd be interested to learn about how much compression and quality loss is going on. Click to DVD seemed to squeeze more than I expected on to a Video DVD but gives no control or info about level of compression.

I still suspect there are better (faster) ways but I want to do all this from 10ft with my remote.

dines
Visitor

Thanks for sharing your info. I have the same results with click to dvd =( wasting DVD's.
Ok the 7 hours came from 2 hours better quality(one level before highest quality don't know the name) recording that is somthing like 7 Gig ... I understand that it has to do some compression, but like you mentioned how much... and where can I adjust it. This is with the Sonic encoder. One thing, though. Theses encoders run on a very low CPU usage. That is sometimes good. But that is a reason why a compression is taking like 7 hours... Is there a why to adjust the cpu usage? I gave the procees more priority.. but didn't help much... :slight_frown:

So I am still on the search for a better way...